Author Topic: HTML tip for IE8  (Read 2080 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
HTML tip for IE8
« on: October 21, 2008, 01:50:41 PM »
I was geting some negative feed back at work about an application I built a year or so ago.  All of a sudden it seemed to stop working for some people.  Here's what I learned.

If you define a doctype for a page, as you should, but then find that the page doesn’t quite work right* in IE8 (which is currently in beta) chances are there is something slightly invalid about your HTML.

Microsoft has apparently done a 180 on their standards handling and now treats everything (even transitional doctypes, it would seem) very strictly.  IE8 includes a button that users can clicked called “compatibility mode” which emulates IE7 (thus ignoring errors) and allows the page to work as expected.

While best practice dictates fixing the page – the easiest work around is to include this meta tag on effected pages:
Code: [Select]
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />This forces the page into IE7 mode so the user doesn’t have to click the buttom themselves (which they probably wouldn't think to do on their own)

See also http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952030

* symptoms include:
• Misaligned Web page layout
• Overlapping text or images
• JavaScript functionality issues and errors

My major problem was JS not working right
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: HTML tip for IE8
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 02:11:58 PM »
So MS is still fucking shit up.  Good to know.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 05:45:50 PM »
Lmfao they tried to be better and still fucked up

:rofl2:
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:03:07 PM »
... or maybe it was something Micah fucked up?