Author Topic: i n the mou ntains  (Read 6268 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
i n the mou ntains
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 11:29:27 PM »
Quote from: salvelinus
Um, sorry, appears to have a good idea but doesn't quite accomplish it. Good poetry isn't a rant, unless you're a very, very good poet.
Poetry needs something to connect, and again, unless you're a very, very good poet, needs a way to make your idea concrete.
"Do I dare to eat a peach?", at least in the contextof the rest of the poem, is classic.

thanks for the comments, but I don't quite understand what you mean. What is "good poetry"? how would you define it? I mean, there is no universally "good" poetry - some people might find a particular poem great, and some might think its horrible.

Also, I don't think that my poem is a rant; how did you get to that conclusion.

I guess what I'm saying is a poem should encapsulate an experience, mood, etc, in as few words as possible.

[/quote]

I don't agree with the first part of this statement. Who said a poem should do anything? and don't you agree that most poem encapsulate ideas?

i don't know, seems a bit stylee over substance to me. but it's good though.

thanks. There are still major kinks I need to work out in it.

But truthfully, I think it is the most honest poem I've ever written. Actually, the poem has written me...
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.