Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Open Discussion / Re: Eclipse 2024
« Last post by Mike on April 11, 2024, 09:00:00 AM »
Makes sense and a totally valid deception :D
« Last post by charlie on April 11, 2024, 01:15:50 AM »
Yeah see I gotta convince the fam to go so I'm just telling them Madrid. ;)
« Last post by Mike on April 10, 2024, 07:58:25 PM »
Madrid looks to be right outside the path of totality.  But Palma looks to be right in the center of the path.
« Last post by charlie on April 10, 2024, 03:54:48 PM »
:cry:

Happy for you guys ;)

I'm now trying to plan a trip to Madrid for August 2026.
« Last post by ober on April 10, 2024, 10:29:18 AM »
Yeah, if I didn't know what was happening, that would have freaked me out lol.  The 'surround sunset' was awesome too.  Like a sunset in every direction.  And it was cool to look at it without the glasses when it was in totality but I was watching as the sun started to peek out the other side and it was like BAM, blinding!  Sort of just reminds you how bright that fucking thing is.  The prominence (the big one) was cool to see too because you could notice it with the naked eye.

I honestly hope I get to see it again in my lifetime.  Truly a unique experience.
« Last post by Mike on April 10, 2024, 10:01:49 AM »
I thought it would be cool but it was better than I expected.

That is probably the most succinct way to put it.

We were laying out on the grass at the college and marveled at how little of the sun was needed to light the area. Then in totality, seeing the corona and was I eventually learned were the solar prominences was amazing. I've seen a few pictures of the corona but most pictures (like mine) don't do it justice.

One thing that we thought about afterwards was that with solar glasses the process takes awhile but without them it really is a sudden event. Yeah, there are some subtle changes leading up to and afterwards but not so drastic as we were expecting. Until totality the sun was bright enough that you can't look at it directly. So, I can totally understand how the ancients were like "what the fuck is this, fuck the gods are pissed" and change what they were doing. One minute things are normal and then suddenly everything goes dark, it is basically dusk, and the sun has a fucking hole in it.
« Last post by ober on April 09, 2024, 04:44:23 PM »
The weather was amazing here in Cleveland.  Only a few clouds but we could see it perfectly the whole time.  It was WILD when it went full totality.  I thought it would be cool but it was better than I expected.
« Last post by charlie on April 08, 2024, 04:37:55 PM »
Awesome.

We saw the partial here with glasses. It was actually pretty cool on its own. This was the first time we had glasses (or remembered where they were) for a partial eclipse and it was clear skies so we got to see the pacman fully.
« Last post by Mike on April 08, 2024, 03:49:34 PM »
Really awesome experience. We had great weather and clear skies. The presentations were a mixed bag as the astronaut was interesting, the physics professor had good information, but the astrophysics PhD candidate was speaking to the wrong crowd.

Totally worth the trip. The next US one in 20 years will only be a few hours away from us so maybe we'll make another trip.
« Last post by Mike on April 08, 2024, 07:54:34 AM »
Not too bad, partial cloud and 81. Apparently, it is better than other areas which is causing even more people to come here. They were initially expecting about 20,000 people but have increased the estimate to 40,000.  In a city of 16,000.  The town has apparently been prepping since the 2017 eclipse which was close but not in the path of totality.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10