Author Topic: Internets and streaming  (Read 1433 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Internets and streaming
« on: November 22, 2011, 12:56:25 PM »
I'm moving to a new place and I get to have real internet! (we're on campus resnet right now, not far off of dial-up speeds). We're planning on trying netflix, what kind of bandwidth do we need to support HD streaming?

I'm looking at a 12Mbps vs 24Mbps (which come with 512Kbps vs 1Mbps up, but at $35 per month vs $45 per month)... aside from streaming I don't really feel I need the faster one. Thoughts? what do you all have and how have you found it for streaming quality?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Internets and streaming
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 01:17:28 PM »
12Mbps should be plenty. With our DSL that was at 1.5 Mbps we watched Netflix in HD just fine. Now at "up to" 15Mbps (and 12Mbps in practice) it works more smoothly and I don't notice any problems.

It might be better at 24, but I don't think you'll notice if you stick with 12.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 04:08:18 PM »
We have a ... 7? Mbps connection here and it works fine.  Every once in a while you get some buffering or something, but that might have more to do with my wireless connection to the Tivo than the actual connection to the internet.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 08:10:10 PM »
Where I am the only option is Dish, and it's expensive as all hell. So instead of using that, I have a 5GB data plan through T-Mobile on our phones (5GB each). The phone works as an AP, and I connect to it via wireless like a router. According to Speedtest, we get around 2.5MB down on the average day. It's not great, but it works.

That said I can stream Netflix (not HD) and play online games just fine, with no real noticeable issues. If I can do it then I imagine you can as well.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 01:21:33 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the info. Going with the cheaper one!