Author Topic: Windows 8 Review  (Read 12282 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Windows 8 Review
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 03:18:41 PM »
I like that you were listening to Owl City in that last screenshot :)

oh, and nice review thanks!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »
I honestly never heard of them. By default random artists from xbox music show in the now playing when you have nothing playing.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 07:55:25 PM »
The new lock screen is the shit. I never used to lock the computer but our kitten likes to walk on crap so I do now. Windows 8 allows a user to set a 4 digit pin in addition to the user password for fast access. So to unlock you just hit four keys and it opens up. You can also customize apps that post to the lock screen.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 10:21:23 AM »
Nice review Steve. Kudos for that.

Don't like the look of the start page. Looks like a mobile phone, not a work environment. For me, computers are tools (but then I'd still run Dos if it did the stuff I want it to)..

i thought they made it that way because win8 is tailored for touch screen. but I could be wrong :dunno:
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 11:12:53 AM »
Nice review Steve. Kudos for that.

Don't like the look of the start page. Looks like a mobile phone, not a work environment. For me, computers are tools (but then I'd still run Dos if it did the stuff I want it to)..

i thought they made it that way because win8 is tailored for touch screen. but I could be wrong :dunno:

That's exactly why. The interface (Metro) is designed so that touch devices can swipe through panels.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 02:22:35 PM »

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 02:44:09 PM »
^^ LOL

My touchoad has been buggy for a few days off and on, but I'm blaming it on Synaptics.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 10:00:47 AM »
Some of us are buying new computers right now. I was going to go no OS since I will be installing 8, but MS is running a great offer right now. Buy any Windows 7 PC before January and upgrade to Windows 8 Professional for just $15

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 12:24:17 AM »
The weather app continues to be badass. It has a whole page of radar, temps, history, etc I had not noticed.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 04:59:32 PM »

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 04:16:42 PM »
It has been over a month now on W8 and it is very solid. No complaints, and I have adjusted to many things that bothered me before. I would now list the only cons as the following:

App Access - You really need to put some effort into getting this setup. For most people they probably won't notice because of desktop icons. Me I hate desktop icons and a cluttered task bar so this is more important. Take for example the calculator. You can't just click start and jump right to it anymore, you need to locate it. The fastest way (without pinning a shortcut) is to hit Windows Key + F, click on Apps, and type in calculator. Kind of annoying, but a small price to pay for the great new start page. Like I said common things you pin to start and/or taskbar and no worries.

I really wish I could swipe in the panels for things like Music. Going to the bottom to drag the scroll bar left and right is annoying. Give me a mouse gesture so I can swipe left and right like I do on my phone. Clearly that is the point, give all devices the option to do this.

I'm irritated that I have to go into the desktop background dialog and navigate to the folder containing the image I wish to use in order to change my background. When looking at an image you can right click to get a set as dialog but it only contains lock screen and app, no desktop background.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 11:58:12 AM »
I finally got a chance to play with a Windows 8 machine last week.  I have to say, I fucking hated it.  Maybe it makes sense on a touch interface, but it was really annoying to trigger the menu on the right of the screen that gets you into settings and stuff.  And getting to programs was a total pain in the ass.  I spent a good 5 minutes just trying to figure out how to get to 'my computer' to see if the machine was 32 bit or 64 bit.  Maybe from a general usage standpoint, it would be fine, but getting it setup as far as adding a wireless network and getting a wireless card going, it was kind of a pain.  Not to mention that I couldn't find a windows 8 driver for his printer, which was fairly new.

I won't be making the jump ANYTIME soon to that POS.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 12:19:48 PM »
You and Randy may have to get out the boxing gloves over this!  Ooh ooh!  Or wrassle to get things figured!

:lol:

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 12:51:24 PM »
From Randall.

"I completely stand behind my evaluation.

you will have to learn how to use the operating system and if you are someone who wants to continue using your old habits and methods of interacting with the computer you will hate it.  If you are someone who goes in understanding things will be different and are willing to figure out the new way, you will love it.

It isn't for everyone but it is coming think of it like your phone and you will have no problem"

He gave me the ok for the quote.

Thoughts?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »
Granted, I spent 15 minutes with it, with a client standing over my shoulder.  But still, I did not find it intuitive at all.