Author Topic: got a few books yesterday  (Read 5079 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
got a few books yesterday
« on: April 11, 2005, 03:14:49 PM »
my cousin got me gift certificate at Amazon, so I got the following:

1. Arthur Miller's "Death of a Salesman" //this is a classic that everyone should read. I read it in highschool, but never owned a copy.

2. Sartre's "Being and Nothingness" //I borrowed this to someone and never got it back :mad: worse yet, I don't remember who I borrowed it to.

3. Kundera's "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" //I looked at this book at Border's - picked it up at random, and wow, it is freagin great...the first two pages at least :p
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 03:18:45 PM »
>>1. Arthur Miller's "Death of a Salesman"

yeah, my english class read this in high school and I got to read the lead part (which was a shock to many people because i was pretty anti-school in high school). Definately a good story.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 03:21:28 PM »
oh, the gift was for $30, and the total for all three books (with free shipping) was $30.97 haha, I love when that happens.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 03:24:39 PM »
I just started reading Palahniuk's "Survivor" yesterday.  I like it so far - it's a lot better than Diary was.

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 02:51:35 PM »
I just got a few books yesterday:

1. Steinbeck's "East Of Eden"
2. Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises"
3. Marquez's "One Hundred Years of Solitude"
4. Gerald Durrel's "My Family and Other Animals"

The first two I bought on the recommendation of an old friend of mine, about whom I just found out was interested in the prospect of becoming an English major. We were trading favorite books back and forth, and I told her that I really enjoyed Hemingway. She recommended those two books to me.

"One Hundred Years of Solitude" I have just always wanted to read for some reason or another.

The last book may seem a bit odd in relation to the rest. It holds sentimental value for me, if nothing else. During the conversation with the aforementioned friend of mine, we got to talking about places that we'd like to live. I related to her how I've always wanted to live in the south of Greece ever since we read a certain novel in an old teacher's class. To my amazement, she told me how she knew exactly the book that I was talking about; apparently, she was as struck by the vivid depictions of Corfu as I was, and took the time out to track the book down. I just had to get it. For the life of me, I can't remember a single word of the novel, but the imagery still sticks out in my mind.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 07:48:50 PM »
cool man, I've read both "100 y o s" and "Sun A R" - both are great. "East o E" I heard was a good book, but never got to it.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 10:14:57 PM »
I actually got my mom hooked on Marquez. I told her about "100 years of solitude" sometime ago when I read it, she picked up a copy, and two weeks ago when she went to Poland she bought every book of his that was out.  She goes on these reading sprees of one particular author...the last was "Paul Cohlo" - she's literally read everything he's written.....

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 09:27:48 PM »
I went to Border's today, in search of just one book - I found it, of course, on the "buy 3 for 2" table...so I walked out of the store with 5 books (no, its not your math that's wrong :p )

the book that I wanted to get is listed first:
1. "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" - McCullers
2. "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" - Berendt //the chick that was checking me out said its a great book and a good movie - I never even knew it was a movie :dunno: - but I picked it up because I judged it by its cover, and liked it...plus I want to read thing I usually don't read
3. "No Man Is an Island" - Thomas Merton // essays and spiritual reflections of a Kentucky monk
4. "Selected poetry of Rilke"
5. "The Four Loves" - C.S.Lewis

BTW, I've noticed that about 60% of my spenidng money (as opposed to necessities like car payment. phone, or gas) goes towards books. about 30% goes to alcohol and cigars, and the rest is either theater or cover to clubs and such....

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 06:34:53 PM »
I started reading "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" last night, and I hate myself for it! Ive read the first to chapters and they are great...from the looks of it, the book is basically a series of short stories that are losely tied with eachother and based in the same Southern town. Whats appealing about the first two chapters, is the fact that these stories are about common (yet sometimes strange) people... and I hate myself because I wont have too much time over the next couple days to read it :mad:

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 01:45:57 AM »
Bump. I just went on what can only be described as a literary spending spree.

Here we go:

1. Don Quixote (the red book that Axon got)
2. Timequake (Vonnegut)
3. A Confederacy of Dunces
4. Lolita
5. The Complete Poetry of Emily Dickinson (which, conversely, I know to be short by 14, I think, poems)
6. Hemingway's Farewell to Arms

A little while ago I also bought the Complete Short Stories of Hemingway, as well as Breakfast of Champions (Vonnegut, which I've already finished).

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 01:18:28 PM »
>>1. Don Quixote (the red book that Axon got)<<

I got it this week as well...started reading it already - really good :)

>>4. Lolita<<

well, we talked about this one :p

>>as well as Breakfast of Champions<<

I thought you read this before :dunno:

This week I got the Don Quixote Book, Pearl's "The Dante Club", Bloom's "Where shall wisdom be Found", and three books by Bukowski.

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 01:30:49 PM »
Nope...Vonnegut books that I'd read before it:
Slaughterhouse-5
Cat's Cradle
Sirens of Titan

Also, I can't wait to enjoy the fuck out of Lolita (no creepy puns intended), just to piss you off :lick: