Author Topic: TVs - talk to me  (Read 14073 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: TVs - talk to me
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 11:15:21 PM »
oh no

No nonononono.

Try staring at a tv that high for a while it has to suck balls.  Oh and f u c k fireplaces.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 08:41:26 AM »
I actually have at least one friend that has it that way and I don't think it would be bad at all.  I even convinced my wife to consider it.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 10:46:50 AM »
IMO bad idea.  You getting this Sam?  Tell him he is nuts.  Not everyone is eight foot ten. 

Seriously.  You are going to kill the picture quality with it mounted like a painting.  Ideally your eyes should be +/-4 to 10" of the horizontal center of the set.  This varies dramatically with different sets and technologies.

Look it up, most of the folks who did this, ended up with a special mount that allowed for enough tilt to overcome the viewing angle issue.  Some make their own mounts some purchased mounts designed for said purpose.  Also it is a pain for little kids to see properly and adjust, as they tend to hang out on the floor more than the furniture and are too small to reach up and adjust it properly.

Also pay attention to giving it room to breathe in the back.  Not tons of room, but enough for connectors/cables to fit and heat to dissipate.
Maybe these will help you in the installation and or wisdom of your options thereof.

Crutchfield
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-603bdH6s6uq/learn/blogs/av_tips/archive/2008/02/21/fighting-temptation-with-your-flat-panel-tv.aspx

HDTV Magazine
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2009/11/hdtv-tlc-mounting-your-hdtv-over-the-fireplace.php

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 11:34:01 AM »
Ok, points taken.  We did have concerns about wiring and such.  I would also have to buy another cabinet if we went that route.  GAHH... I just hate having to keep it in that one corner.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 11:46:36 AM »

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 01:32:49 PM »
Knuck... I have another problem.  If I get a TV, I'm going to end up putting it on a cabinet of some sort and there won't be any room for my speakers.  I'll likely end up selling them.  Right now they sit on top of a big corner cabinet.  I really hate to do anything like this but I don't think i have a choice.

Do you know anyone that would want them?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:47:59 PM by ober »

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 12:36:56 AM »
TV specs:  LED technology offers razor-sharp clarity (no no no)

Speaks...
Me.  If you are enough of a tard to get rid of them I want them.  I want to pet them.

Selling those would be all kinds of stupid.

Mount them or something.  Sell them?  You nuts?  Get a good tv and crappify the sound?  Whaa?

Da heck is all of this it has to look perfect.  It is a tv not a painting.  If you want it to look awesome get art work and screw a tv.  Next we will be trying to find you a Genius Bar.

Seriously.  Mount the tv normal and set the speaks up with mounts in the wall or behind the tv.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 06:53:31 AM »
Knuck - you've been saying the same thing on LEDs for a few years now - have they evolved at all?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 08:20:46 AM »
Yup. They have.  Still blotchy over a big PC monitor?  Yup. 

No fair yelling at the messenger.  And it hasn't been a few years.  The LED lighting has only been in TVs for maybe going on three with the advent of 2011 (give or take).

I also preached plasmas were NOT the way to go.  I updated that as they have clearly improved to the point that they are now front runners and still improving.

I was pretty bummed to see lasers fall by the wayside.  Damned major loss IMO.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 08:39:37 AM »
Mount them?  Really?  Like that wouldn't look fucking hideous.  I already said I wasn't mounting the TV.  We already have a cabinet lined up to put it on with a normal stand.  And I know you're an audiophile, but honestly, as long as the TV sounds half decent, I'd almost rather just have that.  I hate managing multiple remotes and shit all the time.  I want to simplify the whole system.

Yes, they sound fantastic.  I'm well aware of that.  And if the layout of the room was different I would probably keep them and incorporate them in a larger entertainment center or something, but that simply isn't the case and probably won't be without some major refactoring of the room.

And really, I don't use speakers in my office and the only other place for them would be in my workshop in the basement and that's just stupid.  So I figure I'll sell them and pay for part of the TV with that.  Maybe I'll even sell my receiver with them since I won't really need that anymore either.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 09:59:04 AM »
Yeah, but why get good video and shit audio.  EACH is half the experience.  This silly crap is the American way.  It is all about the eyes and the ears?  Fuck em...that is insanity audiophile or not.  Figure something out.  You are a smart boy.  Send me video or some shit and I will see what I can figure out.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 11:01:05 AM »
I know, I know.  You've told me this a hundred times and I'm with you.  But the only option would be to mount them above the TV on the wall in the corner.  FUGLY.  I don't have an ideal setup and there is really no way around it.  I'm going to hold onto the stuff until after we buy a TV (as long as I can hold off the Mrs. until then).  Then we'll decide what to do.  If the TV ends up having complete shit for audio, I'll have a battle royal with her.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 12:20:30 PM »
Wow, two remotes and a few mounts, cause thats hard. We have a nice surround sound system, all the speakers are mounted. Two in the front corners, two in the rear, center over the tv, and the sub is tucked away behind the stand.

We control everything with one remote, except volume with the other. If i felt like taking the time i could probably program the comcast remote to handle the SS also, but whats the big deal.

And nobody hardly even notices the speakers, and the wires are all run under the carpet.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 12:57:45 AM »
Battle?  You likely won't have to.  Sam isn't stupid.  I have met the that type.  She never struck me as the snotty looks only kind of person at all.  I think she will be reasonable.  Again send me pix and we can work on solutions.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 12:59:14 AM »
Battle?  You likely won't have to.  Sam isn't stupid.  I have met the that type.  She never struck me as the snotty looks only kind of person at all.  I think she will be reasonable.  Again send me pix and we can work on aesthetic solutions.