Author Topic: My Next Laptop  (Read 16813 times)

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
Re: My Next Laptop
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 11:02:50 AM »
Awesome line Kermi.

Whadda I say?

Persepctive - Didn't it change Save As to Duplicate or something?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 11:20:39 AM »
Persepctive - Didn't it change Save As to Duplicate or something?

oh that. Yeah, it's the same thing though. You click duplicate and you have a new copy of the same file, then you can save it under a different name. Not sure why they did that though...

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 10:01:26 AM »
Wooohooooo! Joanna Stern approves (big fan of her reviews)....

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-ultrabook-review-ultrabook-now/t/story?id=16994396#.UCo0qWNYt6k

Just have to wait for the release so I can really compare price with the Zenbook and the specs....I know it's a bit more spendy than some others, but ultra books have always felt cheap to me....given that this will become my primary work and commuting machine, I may be okay with the extra price if I get the better keyboard and durability....though I do love that it's a 14" instead of everyone else's 13". In my mind thats what the extra couple hundred bucks pays for (and the keyboard)

I do with it had a better resolution and slightly longer battery though...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 03:23:18 PM »
I really like my Asus gen 1 ultrabook.

The gen 2 is superior in just about every meaningful way.  Talk to CJ, as his mother now owns a gen 2.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 05:44:16 PM »
Asus can be hit or miss on their quality though. I have had 3 (including this one). Two have been craptastic, this one is pretty solid. Years ago ASUS was the go to company for components but quality dropped off there as well.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 12:05:03 AM »
I recently played with an asus zenbook at the store and now I'm pondering the ux31a. But the X1 is still interesting to me.
This signature intentionally left blank.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 11:06:34 AM »
Okay - pretty much settling on Thinkpad.  Everyone I know who has one for a work machine is so happy with it....So question becomes - how would you spec it out?

I'm going to be using this as my main on the go machine.  Mainly for word processing, stats (small to moderate sized datasets), general web usage (including streaming videos), and very light gaming.  I do multitask a lot when I'm working.  My current laptop has 4gb of ram and will remain as my main gaming and general use machine.  I'll also use it to store most of my media.

So thoughts on which model:
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=0E6E3D0084869C3EB4172DA2F965A301

Main options are:
Core i5 with 4gb RAM
Core i7 with 4gb RAM
Core i5 with 8gb RAM

128 or 256 GB SSD

I'm leaning to the 256 GB (despite the 300) because it would probably let me take my core media collection with me....which means I could sync my phone with it and never feel the desire to take my bigger laptop with me when I travel :D.

Would love opinions....

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »
More RAM is always worth it, but it may be cheaper to buy less from the manufacturer and order your own RAM from tigerdirect or something. My MBP came with 4GB of RAM, I bought 16GB online for $130 and put the 4GB in my wife's computer.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 12:27:09 PM »
Ya, I'm just concerned with how upgradable a laptop will be...

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 01:08:01 PM »
8GB if RAM is enough for the next five years. 

256GB?  I use half that and am fine, however that will probably change.  Get the larger drive.

Core i5 or i7.  IMO i5 is more than enough.  Even an i3 would be acceptable short of the loss of the 4000.

Both have 4000 series Intel GPU.  The Asus sports an Nvidia GPU if you want it.  It uses the Nvidia when required (ie gaming) and bumps back to the 4000 on-die when not needed.  That said, it still reduces battery life significantly.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 01:08:42 PM »
CJ said he thought the keyboard and display on the Asus were better.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 02:05:53 PM »
Thanks. Im leaning towards that config. Display on Asus is definitely better - 1080p vs 1600x900. Every review I've read though says the think pad has the best keyboard on a ultrabook - maybe on a laptop and the best touchpad on a pc ultrabook...

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 02:26:02 PM »

Most laptops are easy to upgrade RAM. You may wanna google the particular model and check though.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »

Most laptops are easy to upgrade RAM. You may wanna google the particular model and check though.
Agreed.  Though getting it originally is kind of convenient.  Warrantied too.  Shrug.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 03:36:19 PM »
Asus has 2 or 4 gig soldered - the 2 gig models have an expansion slot with an additional 2 in with an expansion slot for up to 6 (I think I read that right).  Lenovo is all soldered but has options for 4 or 8....

Basic choice is:
Asus ($1500): Core i7, 256g SSD, 4G RAM (with possible expansion to 6), 13.3" 1920x1080 screen, bad hinge for screen, decent keyboard but has sharp edges that make typing obnoxious, poor trackpad (Knuck - the one with descrete graphics doesn't have an HD :dunno:), ~5:45 reviewer battery life

Lenovo ($1800): Core i5, 256g SSD, 8 Gb (soldered), 14" 1600x900 screen, great keyboard and trackpad, more durability (by rep and specs - spill resistant keyboards and milspec ruggedness/dust), ~4:45 hr reviewer batter life + rapid recharge (charges 0-80% in 30 min)

So the Lenovo is basically $300 for 4 gigs of RAM (250 when I discount what I'd spend on upgrading the Asus if that's possile). 

I think the durability and the keyboard are worth it.  I worry with the screen because I zoom in a lot already and having a higher DPI on a smaller monitor might be great for watching videos, but I worry about it with respect to horsepower and seeing stuff....I think knuck is right, the processor difference will mean that much to me...but the interface experience when working will (even if it won't be as good for playing)

I'm leaning heavily towards ordering the Lenovo tomorrow unless someone see's something I'm missing.