Author Topic: Linux Users Distro poll (sort of)  (Read 2653 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Linux Users Distro poll (sort of)
« on: March 26, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
For those of you running Linux these days, which OS are you currently sporting? I'm getting ready to make the switch to Linux for my work laptop (running XP in a VM when needed) and I'm debating on which distro to roll with. We run CentOS at work for all of our servers now (switching from true RedHat) but I'm somewhat fond of Ubuntu as I think they're doing a really nice job. I haven't bothered trying the desktop versions of SUSE or Fedora or anything lately but I'm open. I'm planning on converting my recording PC to UbuntuStudio too now that there seems to be support for my AudioFire12 interface. Switching to the realtime kernel made me change my mind about using Linux as my DAW. I can got <2ms latency with no problems on my laptop.

Me: Ubuntu

I still secretly desire to run BSD but there just isn't the community for it.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Linux Users Distro poll (sort of)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 11:04:35 AM »
I run Ubuntu Intrepid, and of the distros i have tried i love Ubuntu. I'm a newbie though, so i dont know how much weight the suggestion carries. CentOS would be my number one choice for a server but not for a user enviorment.

I would suggest you run Ubuntu and then experiment with the others via Virtualbox or a extra partiton.

One tip i learned the hard way is to make sure you install Virtualbox and not Virtualbox OSE, as OSE carries no USB support.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 11:31:49 AM »
Ubuntu (Intrepid on my laptop and Hardy on my desktop). On my Nas drive I have Debian.

I've tried other distros (Fedora & Suse are quite nice), but I feel more comfortable with Ubuntu

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 12:14:11 PM »
Ubuntu. I've used Fedora in the past and quite liked it.

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 03:11:45 PM »
Hardy Heron here...what we run on our servers

I would consider CentOs if that's what you're targeting for development

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 08:22:25 PM »
I'm still running Ubuntu 7.10 (custom compiled kernel to make my wireless driver work well enough and upgraded to Firefox 3). Runs really well and is solid on what is in reality a 4 year old laptop!

Running a reasonably recent version of Debian (can't remember which one exactly) on an old 800Mhz Celeron Dell box as a home server. Its headless just now but I was really impressed with the performance of the GUI when I installed it!