Author Topic: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker  (Read 2570 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
« on: January 07, 2020, 01:49:55 PM »
saw it with the family on Sunday. On its own, a pretty solid and fun movie. We enjoyed it quite a bit. Adam Driver is a terrific actor and all of his parts were especially good. Some of the dialogue was choppy and unnecessary. There was a lot of plot in this one that could have been explained better. Overall, even though a good movie on its own like I said, it felt like it was detached from episode VIII. I think that if Abrams directed all three, the whole trilogy would have been a lot better. It seems that some ideas that he started in VII got dropped in VIII and picked back up in IX but as a whole it was a roller coaster of a story - there was no continuity. As the whole trilogy goes, I wish that some of the supporting characters had more developed story arcs - as it was I was only invested in Ray and Ben - others were meh. Like I felt that Abrams didn't know what to do with Poe or Finn in IX - I think anyone could have done what they did. I think the Abrams had a greater vision for these characters, but episode VIII squashed that and there was no clean way of picking it up.

There were some WTF moments as well - but I don't want to spoil it unless you guys want to talk about it.

But again, solid Star Wars movie on its own - you should see it.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 04:26:07 PM »
I saw Frozen 2 again last night.  anyone want spoilers? LOL
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 06:18:48 AM »
The most recent SW was another ghastly pile of what the hell was that mess.  Not even worth a rent to IMO the SW super-fan I went with gave it a 4/10.  I gave it a 3.

The new Frozen worth the see.  I hear that it is nothing at all like the first and fairly dark without as catchy a soundtrack as the first.  I was thinking of giving it a skip.  Thoughts?

Knives Out was a blast.  Check that one out!!

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 06:44:13 AM »
The new Frozen worth the see.  I hear that it is nothing at all like the first and fairly dark without as catchy a soundtrack as the first.  I was thinking of giving it a skip.  Thoughts?

If you didn't "like" the first one and just had to put up with it because your kids liked it, then the 2nd one might not seem any better.  But if you kinda didn't mind watching the first one, the new one is totally worth it.  First off, the animation quality is insane... the characters are still cartoony, but when you look at the details, like even just the reflections off their clothes, but also the landscapes in the background are so photo realistic.  There are definitely some dark moments book-marked by some good one liners and side-kick-comic-relief.  Without spoiling a major plot point, I will say that anti-nationalists (like Mike :) ) will appreciate the "truth" revealed in the movie that sometimes, you're country is the ones who were assholes and it's never too late to make up for your historical mistakes. Other discussions points for older kids that you could get out of the movie include survivors guilt, coping with tradgedy and never giving up hope. 

The sound track is not as catchy but it is really well orchestrated and performed. And it didn't stop my kids from belting out the lyrics, singing along in the theatre.   One of my favorite song is not all that singable but the lyrics....talk about dark

I've seen dark before, but not like this
This is cold, this is empty, this is numb
The life I knew is over, the lights are out
Hello, darkness, I'm ready to succumb
I follow you around, I always have
But you've gone to a place I cannot find
This grief has a gravity, it pulls me down
But a tiny voice whispers in my mind
You are lost, hope is gone
But you must go on
And do the next right thing
Can there be a day beyond this night?
I don't know anymore what is true
I can't find my direction, I'm all alone
The only star that guided me was you
How to rise from the floor?
But it's not you I'm rising for
Just do the next right thing
Take a step, step again
It is all that I can to do
The next right thing
I won't look too far ahead
It's too much for me to take
But break it down to this next breath, this next step
This next choice is one that I can make
So I'll walk through this night
Stumbling blindly toward the light
And, with it done, what comes then?
When it's clear that everything will never be the same again
Then I'll make the choice to hear that voice

Also, Kristoff does this awesome 80's-style queen/journey-like song which is just awesome. (and the "video" in the movie is equally awesome)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiGcfay5jNY
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 09:31:57 PM »
I thought Star Wars IX was good. I was fine with it. 7/10

Definitely felt like the scenes they had to cobble together because of Carrie Fisher's death were lacking. I'm guessing it would have been a bit better if they could tell the story they intended to.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 09:32:45 PM »
I haven't seen Frozen 2, although my family did. I did watch 9 movies over three days while on vacation over the holidays, though. That was cool. All 9 from the comfort of my couch. I give them all 7/10.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 12:01:23 AM »
I liked SW.  It was a fun film.

I liked Frozen 2 but found that the singing just wasn't up to the first movie's level.  I actually thought they might have swapped voice actors.  Oh, and Olaf had way too big of a role in the movie.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 05:51:47 AM »

I liked Frozen 2 but found that the singing just wasn't up to the first movie's level.  I actually thought they might have swapped voice actors.  Oh, and Olaf had way too big of a role in the movie.

This is what I am mostly hearing.