Author Topic: Don Quixote and translations  (Read 4863 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Don Quixote and translations
« on: May 18, 2005, 12:47:58 PM »
One of the books I want to read over the summer is Don Quixote by Cervantes. I have a "Border's Classic" hardcover edition at home, but it is missing a prologue and the beginning poems...I'm not sure why - it seems to me that both of the missing parts are essential for the novel.

Over the weekend I went to Barnes&Noble to pick up a different copy - but like with Dostoevsky's writings, I wanted to have the best translation available. I read the first sentence of the first chapter in every single edition that the store had (around 10) and all of them were very different - some of them sounded downright wrong - one edition even changed the format of the first paragraph by merging it with the second. Here is an example of one of these translations  (the missing word is "remember").

This is a translation from Gutenberg Project's copy:

CHAPTER I.

WHICH TREATS OF THE CHARACTER AND PURSUITS OF THE FAMOUS GENTLEMAN DON
QUIXOTE OF LA MANCHA

In a village of La Mancha, the name of which I have no desire to call to
mind, there lived not long since one of those gentlemen that keep a lance
in the lance-rack, an old buckler, a lean hack, and a greyhound for
coursing. An olla of rather more beef than mutton, a salad on most
nights, scraps on Saturdays, lentils on Fridays, and a pigeon or so extra
on Sundays, made away with three-quarters of his income. The rest of it
went in a doublet of fine cloth and velvet breeches and shoes to match
for holidays, while on week-days he made a brave figure in his best
homespun. He had in his house a housekeeper past forty, a niece under
twenty, and a lad for the field and market-place, who used to saddle the
hack as well as handle the bill-hook. The age of this gentleman of ours
was bordering on fifty; he was of a hardy habit, spare, gaunt-featured, a
very early riser and a great sportsman. They will have it his surname was
Quixada or Quesada (for here there is some difference of opinion among
the authors who write on the subject), although from reasonable
conjectures it seems plain that he was called Quexana. This, however, is
of but little importance to our tale; it will be enough not to stray a
hair's breadth from the truth in the telling of it.

I know that translations of such books are really hard to do as the translators have to balance two things: to immitate the author stylistically, and at the same time to give the most accurate translation.

I usually trust the "Modern Library" editions the most, both the prologue and that first sentence read "the best" but how could I be certain? So, does anyone know who does the best translation of this book - or who is known to be the best?

Also, next time you have some time to waste at a bookstore do the same experiment with a few different translations.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 03:03:25 PM »
That's an interesting coincidence; I've been trying to figure out a good translation of Don Quixote to pick up lately as well. Translations are aggravating: I even considered reading it in Spanish for a while, which I figured might be an interesting experiment. I mean, I wonder how much more Spanish I could pick up. It could either be ridiculously hard, or wholly beneficial.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 03:07:37 PM »
I doubt a 400 year old book would help your grasp of useful Spanish at all.

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 03:28:17 PM »
Thou speakest the truth.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 04:17:22 PM »
Quote from: -KEN-
I even considered reading it in Spanish for a while, which I figured might be an interesting experiment. I mean, I wonder how much more Spanish I could pick up. It could either be ridiculously hard, or wholly beneficial.

man, how cool it would be to read Don Quixote, Crime and Punishmentm or 100 Years of Solitude in their native language... I can understand Russian, but can't read or write it :(
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 04:46:51 PM »
I looked online a bit, and it seems that Edith Grossman does the best translations; which, cuincidentaly is the first translation I link to in the op. I guess that I'll pick the red book up, even though it is one of the more expensive one.

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 06:59:56 PM »
Quote from: Govtcheez
I doubt a 400 year old book would help your grasp of useful Spanish at all.

ditto. even english stuff from the colonial days is noticably different from the grammar and words of today.

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 10:28:33 PM »
Quote from: axon
I looked online a bit, and it seems that Edith Grossman does the best translations; which, cuincidentaly is the first translation I link to in the op. I guess that I'll pick the red book up, even though it is one of the more expensive one.

I think that I read that her translation is "new" in every sense of the word, including "a new take on the story." From the bn.com review from the Library Journal: "Grossman's goal was to make the 400-year-old book sound as if it were penned by one of her modern specialties."
"Unlike earlier versions, this Don Quixote doesn't use the antiquated speech of the novels of chivalry that Cervantes is spoofing, thus providing a more readable text."

Personally, I'd think that the antiquated speech would reinforce the idea of the timing and the antiquated chivalry of it all, but I suppose it would be nice to read the novel unencumbered by such speech.

Maybe this is a good edition to read as an intro to the more "standard" translations, which appear to be these: " The older, more faithful standard translations, like those of Putnam (1949), Starkie (1964), and Jarvis (revised 1992) will remain in the canon and in print, as much for their reliability as their quaintness."

Oh well. It's probably the one that I'll buy anyhow.