Author Topic: mushrooms  (Read 6724 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
mushrooms
« on: September 13, 2014, 10:30:51 PM »
Do any of you guys pick mushrooms? I remember picking as a kid with my Grandmother who is no longer with us. It is a very fond memory. I've picked some in Colorado, and a few times in Wisconsin, but now I have them right on my property. And holy cow there are a lot of them! this weather is just perfect for them.
Last week I've picked a basket-full, but this weekend I got 4 times that.

The King Boletes I dried out and we use them for all kinds of stews, sauces, and soups during the winter (we usually by them in Polish stores or my folks send us some).

Slippery Jacks I pickled and got three good jars. The rest I will make a sauce out of and will have them for dinner tomorrow! something like this

There is no nutritional value with mushrooms they just have a wonderful taste.

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 10:35:03 PM »
Never picked wild mushrooms.  Never had anyone teach me which ones are safe and which ones kill.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 09:21:28 AM »
What Mike said.

Also - I almost went to Wisconsin yesterday just for fun.  You lucky bastard.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »
I used to pick them yearly with my family. I haven't gone since moving away but I can't say I missed it. They always grew in or near briars and I always came home cut up. I never cared for them either.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 05:22:30 PM »
I like eating them. Mostly the more "meaty" like varieties. A nice portobello marinated in basalmic and olive oil... On the grill.... Mmmm good sammich.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 05:23:00 PM »
Oh and the ones we picked were not like that. They were skinny and tall but I can't think of what they were called.

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 08:38:28 PM »
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 09:11:18 AM »

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 10:48:18 AM »
Heheh... at first I thought your response was to drak.  Then I saw you also posted a link.  :)
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 07:08:34 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanterelle

People around here go hunting for these. I've never gone, but some of my friends have given me some and they are pretty tasty.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanterelle

People around here go hunting for these. I've never gone, but some of my friends have given me some and they are pretty tasty.

There are great! my grandfather used to make a sauce out of them and would pour it over thick potato pancakes.   mmmm
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.