Author Topic: "Dell DataSafe" WTF?  (Read 2972 times)

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
"Dell DataSafe" WTF?
« on: March 24, 2006, 11:55:58 AM »
In my deep desire to procrastinate and get a new computer...I've been visiting Dell and Alienware daily to pretend like I'm buying a new computer (pathetic I know).

So today I went pretended like I was building a non-gaming system for the first time (did a home media system), I was asked if I wanted to get Dell DataSafe Protection on my 160 gig HD.  The way the liine read:

DataSafe 160GB (Includes main hard drive plus a hidden reserve hard drive) [add $150 or $5/month3]

Curious, I checked out their more details and had a complete What the Fuck Are They Trying to Pull? momment!  Can anyone explain to me how this is operationally different from a RAID 1?  Or from a good external that backsup once a week?

This seems like it's just Dell praying on the uneducated...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: "Dell DataSafe" WTF?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 01:04:06 PM »
It IS a RAID 1.  It says so right there in the description.  I don't get what you're so mad/confused about.  You're paying for an additional hard drive and they setup the RAID array for you.  Would you feel more comfortable if they just said "Additional 160GB drive in RAID 1"?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 01:51:29 PM »
Yea, I kinda would...instead they say that it's a lot more than RAID 1....look at their little chart thingy...just seemed like they're that it's a whole lot more than RAID and I don't see it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 01:53:18 PM by kermi3 »
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 02:04:27 PM »
I don't know dude... I don't have any problem with what they have listed there.

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 04:05:07 PM »
I bought a SB server from Dell a few months back. I paid for the mirrored drive,and I assumed they would have set that up before shipping (As normal the OS was preinstalled), but I still had to set it up.

Not bad though. If you ring them up and speak to someone you might save some money too. I managed to knock a few hundred off by speaking to someone...that was a business deal thoug...and for a server. Still worth a try IMHO