Author Topic: A new keyboard idea?  (Read 2711 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
A new keyboard idea?
« on: December 14, 2006, 09:31:38 AM »
So, at work I've been using one of those M$ split keyboards and it's helped my typing a bit forcing me not to cheat on certain letters. I went to the store looking for a new keyboard for my home and found a nice new M$ ergonomic one that felt pretty good. But as I was typing on it I got to thinking. Shouldn't the keyboard be curved the other direction? Instead of a smiley face, more like a frown face? I don't know about some of you guys but when I put my hands on the table the arc of my fingertips doesn't match the arc of the keyboard. Has anyone seen a keyboard like this? If not..

:homer simpson:
patent pending.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 09:34:45 AM by tgm »
This signature intentionally left blank.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: A new keyboard idea?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 12:41:39 PM »
I see what you mean with the curve of the fingers, but I think you're begging for a rash of carpal-tunnel cases if you make a frowning keyboard. Just twisting my wrists the tiniest bit in that direction and they already feel uncomfortable. I think that's why the ergonomic ones are made that way, for the natural arc of the wrist rather than the fingers.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 02:02:33 PM »
The whole keyboard wouldn't be frowning, just the keys. I would still go for a smiling palm rest and split idea like the M$ natural one but instead of the all the keys being straight, they would curve slightly downward. (mostly just the top two rows. but putting the backspace key in more of the }] location.) Not all the keys would be rectangles any more, some would be more trapezoid shaped.

I guess this is close to what I'm thinking but with a bit more of curve on the keys.
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=043#
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 02:05:33 PM by tgm »
This signature intentionally left blank.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 02:11:29 PM »
As long as your wrists aren't being forced outward I definitely think it is a good idea. How much curve is too much I don't know, though.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 04:06:11 PM »
I don't know... don't you think they did a fair amount of research into this?  I don't like the split thing anyways.  Never have.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 07:15:28 PM »
I have a split-ergonomic keyboard, I like it.. although there arent many people out there who do.  When people who dont know how to type sit down at my computer and start to type, the first thing they do is complain about the keyboard..

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 10:22:19 PM »
I owned the first M$ split and loved it.  Still use it when I am doing tons of typing. The newer versions are not as well built nor are they as ergonomic. 

The split deal took me a while to get used to, however once I nailed it, I never again really enjoyed  "normal" keyboards.

One more thing about the newer M$ ergo boards, they lack the responsiveness of the original.  This causes people to think that they just don't get it.  Not true.  It is just shitty switch positioning (or responses).

Knuck

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 12:08:25 AM »
I think the purpose of not making it more frowny face is how your hand should be when you type.  They really shouldn't be stretched out, but more like almost holding a ball, shouldn't they?  Besides, keys are big enough for you to be on the edge of them, so I really don't know how big of a difference it would make.  Unless you had one really really short finger. :)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 03:22:18 PM »
Ever wonder how the chicks with the 2" nails type at all, let alone a 200wpm.

My aunt can do this and it amazes me every time.  Its like typing with finger stilts.

Knuck