Author Topic: Battery: In or Out?  (Read 3468 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Battery: In or Out?
« on: July 05, 2008, 06:24:48 PM »
You guys running laptops, do you leave the battery in all the time? I ask because both of mine run really hot most of the time when im working because i have alot going on. Sometimes when i unplug them and then go plug them back in while their hot they will say "Plugged in, Not charging" no matter how low the battery is. Once i shut them down for a few minutes the battery charge will kick right on so i assume when they get so hot the laptop wont charge the battery for safety reasons.

So i thought maybe its better for the laptop if the battery isnt in when i dont need it? Then i can just pop it in before i go mobile?

The one i bought a few months back is still warranty, but the new one isnt as its second hand. The used is in alot nicer shape and i like it better then mine and if im hurting them i want to know now....
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Battery: In or Out?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 07:11:18 PM »
I usually leave mine plugged in but it also provides support.  I'm thinking it might not have been a good thing though as my 8 cell seems to be lasting less then my 6 cell now

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 07:39:24 PM »
I always leave mine in. I've never seen any reason to take it out, plus if I lose power for some reason (cord getting bumped or something) then it just switches to battery power

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 08:15:05 PM »
yea i always leave mine in. How this came up is im on the new one and a t-storm rolled in and it was a BAD one so i pulled the power cord out. Got down about 26% and plugged it back in. Then i got the plugged in not charging. So i popped the battery out while it was still plugged in, and put it back. no chnage. So turned it off and plugged it in, no charge light. Waited 2-3min and no issues since so i figure it has to be a safety thing.

As long as im not hurting it....
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 10:05:50 AM »
It wears your battery down quicker I'm sure by leaving it in (not sure how much though) but it's much more convenient. I leave mine in all the time and just expect to buy a new one every year or two. Since I use my laptop for work it's really nice just to be able to unplug and move into another room when I need to, or if the power goes out, or when I want to leave for home.
My battery went south a few months ago and it was awful just using the power cord and having to hibernate before leaving every night.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 09:45:53 PM »
Mine is in all the time as well... which reminds me, I need to buy a new one for my Dell.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 09:47:06 PM »
Yea im just going to leave it in. And dell yea they need batteries all the time

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 09:51:15 PM »

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 09:51:42 PM »
Yea im just going to leave it in. And dell yea they need batteries all the time
Bought the laptop in '04.  I'd say 4 years ain't bad.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 09:56:24 PM »
thats damn good most go about a year

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 10:12:36 PM »
I think I got my last battery for about half the price of what it was on Dell.com

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 10:16:34 PM »
i never had to buy one knock on wood, but if i did fleabay would be my first stop. Honeslty if the laptop is 3+ years old im probably going to replace it b4 i buy a battery for it.