Author Topic: And now I've got an iPad  (Read 2425 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
And now I've got an iPad
« on: July 12, 2010, 03:19:03 PM »
So, my bosses found a good deal on an open box 64GB WiFi iPad and decided to get it for me. So even though I've been holding out for a good Android one, that might be a year or more away yet. Now, I guess I'm still stuck with iTunes and having to run my Windows partition on my laptop to keep updating junk. But, it should at least be fun to play with and I'll be able to give a proper review and make the decision of weather I think it would be good for my grandparents/other relatives etc. And I'll get to play with making web apps for it too so that's a good thing.

I guess it might be time to pick up a used mac mini and try my hand at some iPhone/iPad development too and see if I can make millions on a stupid $0.99 app, right?

For you other iPad owners, what are some of the must have apps for the thing? Seems like everything on the iPad is pay to play instead of free like the iPhone. I've already got Netflix, and Google Earth. I'll probably throw on Dragon Diction and an audio recording app too. Mostly though, my plan is to see how well it works for a morning/evening couch surfing device.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Dumah

• Jackass IV
Re: And now I've got an iPad
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 04:29:51 PM »
Damn...I'm still trying to get a new chair at my works! You lucky sod!

:(

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 05:27:12 PM »
Yeah, check the safe contact for the reasoning behind it (my long ranting job thread).

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 07:33:18 AM »
So I'm a bit jealous from the perspective of internet reading and quick note taking...how is it?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 11:05:36 AM »
It's OK (for now).

For media delivery and content consumption it's pretty good. Games, mmm, it's a little big I think (I favor the PSP sort of size) but there are plenty of fun ones. The biggest drawback I see is the productivity is still not all that great, even at a basic level. I'm not expecting to program on the thing, but editing a resume and such really isn't all that much to expect. And I'm frequently finding little gotchas in the web browsing experience with things like Flash and no support for the rich-text component that makes all of the web editors possible. Give it a year and get the Hulus and such off of Flash and all the major sites to implement an iPad friendly version of their stuff and it will be much better (I'd say it's 7.5/10 right now, depends on the sites).

You can buy all sorts of apps to do a bunch of stuff but they don't talk to each other which I think is a big drawback. For instance, my boss wanted to edit a file from Dropbox in Pages and re-upload it, and right now that's just not happening. I think a basic file system (mass storage sort of thing) might be a good addition; more than photos and videos.

It is a bit heavy still, but fine if you rest it on your lap or something other than holding it like a book in the air. Battery life is very good, what you wish your laptop could get and it stays cool as well.

I don't know that I would've spend the money on it myself as I'm still holding out for the Android/ChromeOS ones that will hopefully pop-up this winter. I'm not sold on the big iPod vs netpad, as I believe a netpad would be better. But since it was a bonus, I take it for what it is and when the other folks finally get their act together and get a good netpad out, I'll likely switch to that and give this to a family member.