Author Topic: crossbow hunting  (Read 3967 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
crossbow hunting
« on: November 07, 2019, 10:02:02 PM »
second time crossbow hunting this week. Last week I saw 11 deer over 2 sits - total between 7 and 8 hours. 9 were out of range - more than hundred yards away. Two were in range, about 35 yards - but they were very small so I didn't harvest them. Crossbow is fun, but way different than rifle. The main difference is the range. I will not shoot over 40 yards - even though I am quite accurate with it, I don't think the bolt has enough momentum for a clean kill. So with a range of less than 40 yards, you have to be extremely quiet and stealthy. I am hunting from the blind I built over the summer, and height definitely helps not to be detected.

Last week on my early sit, I got out about 45 minutes before sunrise, and there were 3 bid deer right in front of my blind and inadvertently I scared them away as I walked towards them.

I sat tonight for three hours and saw 2 does and a buck - both were out of range at over 100 yards. But for the morning I am taking a different approach. I will sleep in the blind! it's 16 degrees here in central wisconsin - so here is hoping I don't freeze!

I got some work to do first, and then I'll go to sleep around midnight.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: crossbow hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 06:22:21 AM »
awaiting today's update.  Also, did you die of exposure?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 12:33:02 PM »
awaiting today's update.  Also, did you die of exposure?

I didn't die, but it got damn cold! ambient temp got down to 4 degrees - I wish I had my cold weather sleeping bag, because I froze my.....feet off. No really, my feet suffered the most. was it worth it? it depends on how you look at it.  I woke up at 5 and got prepared. First deer sighting was at a quarter to 6, but very far away. As I was studying it with my binoculars, a fawn in range appeared in the clearing. I started getting ready in hopes that mama would soon follow...and she did. But she was very fidgety and would not give me a shot. In a few seconds she got spooked and ran away. The fawn did too in another minute or two.

Meanwhile, the deer that I saw first that was far away now had a friend (sister) and Mama. When the two that were close to me ran away, these three started making their way down. I got ready again and had my sights set on the big doe. They came within range and started munching on some of the brush that was peaking out of the snow. The two fawns were broad side to me for more than a minute but again I concentrated on the adult....she would not give me a clean shot. One of the fawns walked away into the forest, and I had a feeling that mom would follow it. So I aimed for the neck and took the shot. I knew I hit her as she jumped in shock and started running away. I saw a lot of blood, so I figured it was a good hit and that she would expire shortly. So I waited about half an hour in hopes she has laid down somewhere close by to bleed out.

I was wrong. I tracked her for over 3 and a half hours. at first there was a lot of blood and later there were only drops. She finally led me to a forest of small (4-10 foot tall) red oaks, and even though there is snow on the ground, there were so many other tracks and so many dark brown oak leaves that I lost her track :( which is the worst thing that can happen. She has little to no chance of survival and instead of a clean and fast harvest she is suffering and will become a meal for coyotes or wolves.

So yeah, not very happy with my self at the moment.   
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 01:45:39 PM by Jake »
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 05:56:39 AM »
I searched for her last night...but tracking in the dark is not an easy task. There was a large pack of coyotes close by howling up a storm and I didn't have my side arm so I stopped about an hour later :/

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 08:39:03 AM »
Lots of meat eaters in the wild going to owe you a favor.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 05:40:01 PM »
Lots of meat eaters in the wild going to owe you a favor.

they do a good job without my help! We mainly have coyotes and bobcats around these parts, but there is also a pack of wolves in the area (I got a glimpse of them on the trail cam a couple year back) as well as a black bear - just one. I've never seen it, but my neighbor has.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 05:45:23 PM »
I sat this morning for a few hours...slept at home though and got to stand a little before 5 am. First doe came out at 6am but at about 150 yards. around 6:30 another one at the same distance. she roamed around and started making her way down to me. at about a 100 yards something spooked her from the side and she ran away. at 7:20am a big 8 point buck came into the clearing 100 yards away; it was just strolling from one side to the next, I stopped it by imitating a doe beat. He stopped for about 15 seconds. I did it again but he didn't feel like investigating and kept moving.

I'm back in Chicago now for prior commitments.

till next week!

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 11:36:06 AM »
Sat yesterday, saw two in the distance, and then nothing.

This morning action started early. First 3 came out at about 5:15am - they were in range, but it was too dark to shoot, so I passed. Saw a few more around 6 but out of range. A young buck came out about 150 yards away at 7 or so. I grunted at him a few times and he started walking towards me. About 100 yards away he turned away unexpectedly. I bleated twice at him and a couple minutes a nice though came out from just about where I lost him. A few seconds later he was right behind her. They both started walking towards me. I got ready to take the buck should he get into my range....but he didn't - they both turned away about 50 yards away from me. At 7:30 a small doe came out right next to my blind - maybe ten yards away. I harvested her when I had a clean shot. She ran about 100 yards before expiring. I waited until 8:30 to leave the blind and look for her in hopes of avoiding last week's fail.

Will have deer heart for lunch today.

warning: in the next post I am attaching a couple pictures.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 11:37:25 AM »
space

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 11:38:18 AM »

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 08:43:23 PM »
It seems wiser than using a car like most folk.