Author Topic: Logic Puzzles  (Read 10047 times)

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
Logic Puzzles
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 05:36:44 PM »
OK, my guess for the rope one. Something like burn one rope from each end, and start the other at one end. When the flames on the first rope meet, that's 30 minutes, which means the other rope has 30 minutes left. set fire to the other end ot the second rope, and when the flames meet that's half of 30 minutes, or 15 minutes, giving 45 minutes in total (not counting the time to set the rope on fire).

How'd I do?

joshdick

• Math Mod
  • Jackass III
    • http://www.xanga.com/joshdick13
Logic Puzzles
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 06:24:08 PM »
Sandrax and Rob are our winners! Congratulations  :thumbsup:

And if you've got better puzzles, by all means please do post them :)
:robot:

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
Logic Puzzles
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2005, 12:47:14 AM »
PS This "brainteasers" are always fucking dumb because there're a million possible answers, but only one is the "correct one", and the only way you know that is if you heard it before. The best ones like this are the dead fisherman and the man that hangs himself.

aww have a heart

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Logic Puzzles
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2005, 08:49:06 AM »
Quote from: ygfperson
aww have a heart

This is one that was posted at cprog when we had this thread.

There is a dead man by a river.  He's in a phone booth, and there are holes in the side of the phone booth.  How did he die?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Logic Puzzles
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2005, 09:10:11 AM »
The holes were put in the phonebooth to tie the concrete blocks to it.  He drowned.

joshdick

• Math Mod
  • Jackass III
Logic Puzzles
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2005, 09:23:10 AM »
But it says that the man is dead by a river, not in one. The most obvious answer to me is that he was shot while talking in a phonebooth by a river, but that's not really in the spirit of these things.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Logic Puzzles
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2005, 09:29:44 AM »
Since there is no fucking way anyone will possibly get this unless they've heard the "brain teaser" before, I'll just say the answer.

He was by the river because he was fishing.  He caught a fish and went to call someone and tell them.  When he did, he stuck his arms out to show how big the fish was, put them through the glass, and bled to death.

Man, you guys are sooooo dumb

joshdick

• Math Mod
  • Jackass III
Logic Puzzles
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2005, 09:50:58 AM »
Here, Govtcheez, this one has a definite answer, and I know I figured it out without having heard it before.

An array A[1 . . . n - 1] contains all integers from 0 to n - 1, except one integer which is missing. Now suppose you cannot access an entire integer in A with a single operation, but you can access one bit of a number A at a time in O(1) time. Devise an algorithm to find the missing integer in O(n log n) time.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Logic Puzzles
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2005, 10:03:06 AM »
See, that's different - that one I can't answer because I'm just not smart enough.  I'm fine with puzzles like that :p

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
Logic Puzzles
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2005, 12:46:37 PM »
Quote from: Govtcheez
See, that's different - that one I can't answer because I'm just not smart enough.  I'm fine with puzzles like that :p

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein