Author Topic: New favorite tool  (Read 2266 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
New favorite tool
« on: October 26, 2015, 10:51:22 AM »
After watching some youtube videos and in preparation for this year's wood splitting I purchased a pickaroon from amazon a few weeks ago. I first wanted to buy a used one at the local flea market, but could not spot one over the summer.

This weekend, a few buddies and I went up to the cabin to prepare wood for the winter, and let me tell you, this tool is worth it! No more bending down to pick up heavy logs; no more aching backs. I'm not sure why a pickaroon is not more widely used - it is now an invaluable piece of my logging toolkit. We split 8 face cords of wood on Saturday, and I doubt we would do as much if not for this tool.

As a side note, these goggles have also worked out nice. I always try to wear eye protection when working with a chainsaw, but regular safety glasses would fog up or simply fall off my face. Regular goggles were useless too because I could not see through the fogged up lens - but these puppies, they worked out great!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: New favorite tool
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 12:08:04 PM »
Good stuff.  I've cut so much wood in my life and I agree with the crappy safety glasses fogging up.  I kinda miss cutting wood.  It was always my dad, my uncles, my brother, and a bunch of cousins.  We used to cut a few dump trucks worth on a saturday... we would have at least 3 chainsaws going constantly.  We usually split it on demand when we moved it from sheds to houses.  And my dad replaced his wood furnace a few years ago.

Anyways, fond memories.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 02:14:58 PM »
Good stuff.  I've cut so much wood in my life and I agree with the crappy safety glasses fogging up.  I kinda miss cutting wood.  It was always my dad, my uncles, my brother, and a bunch of cousins.  We used to cut a few dump trucks worth on a saturday... we would have at least 3 chainsaws going constantly.  We usually split it on demand when we moved it from sheds to houses.  And my dad replaced his wood furnace a few years ago.

Anyways, fond memories.

There is definitely something special about cutting wood. Part of it for me, I think, is the instant gratification: the process is pretty strenuous, but results are very quick. There is also something therapeutic about it.

There were 5 of us this weekend. We had two chain saws running, one person transporting logs from were they were cut to the splitter, one person splitting, and another transporting split wood to wherever we were stacking it.

We did 2 cords for my house, 1 cord for my friend, and 5 for my neighbor. He is 62, lives in Wisconsin year round and mostly heats with wood. He is a great guy and this is the second year I've been helping him out. In turn, instead of buying wood for my self, I just use what he has on his land, since most of it is oak (most of mine is pine).

I did 2 cords for him last month and my son helped with the splitting and stacking - he really helped - it took us a few hours but that is some priceless time with the boy. 
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 02:16:07 PM »
We usually split it on demand when we moved it from sheds to houses

did you use a splitter or axe?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 11:32:47 AM »
Sometimes we'd split it before stacking it in the shed and do a bunch at once with a hydraulic splitter on the back of a tractor.  Something like this, but ours was made by a local guy.  http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ton-hydraulic-log-splitter-62291.html

But if it was a small amount, like moving a week's worth from the shed to the house and we found some that needed to be split, we'd use a splitting maul: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1274445&cp=2568443.2568444.2598674.2601430.1260315