Author Topic: California vacation  (Read 7428 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
California vacation
« on: January 18, 2016, 07:20:28 PM »
Planning out our cali vacation this summer and came across this awesome video:

https://youtu.be/ZwzY1o_hB5Y

Anyway, here the rough draft of our vacation - 10-14 days

Start in San Fran
Napa Valley
Yosemite
Sequoia
Finish in LA

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: California vacation
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 12:27:25 PM »
All that in 10-14 days? Which places will you only go for a day or two and which ones will you stay longer?

Yosemite is awesome in person, not just video. You'll love it. Make reservations as soon as you can.

Do you have babysitters for the Napa leg? Because, you know, that might be more fun for just you and your wife.

What's the plan for LA? There are so many options (e.g. Disneyland, Hollywood, beaches, zoos, etc).

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 10:07:12 AM »
All that in 10-14 days? Which places will you only go for a day or two and which ones will you stay longer?

Yosemite is awesome in person, not just video. You'll love it. Make reservations as soon as you can.

Do you have babysitters for the Napa leg? Because, you know, that might be more fun for just you and your wife.

What's the plan for LA? There are so many options (e.g. Disneyland, Hollywood, beaches, zoos, etc).

My best friend and his family are going with us as well. Originally this was supposed to be just a 7 day vacation - Yosemite and Sequoia NP were the main destinations. Now we have added Napa and LA. Planning just one day in Napa, and 2 days in LA the rest in the mountains. In SF we would only see the bridge, so only half a day in SF or so.

I cringe going to LA - but my friend's wife really wants to go. We'll do Hollywood. If she wants to do other things then we will probably split up and we'll go up the coast and hit some interesting beaches.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 10:07:41 AM »
Lots of crime in Yosemite. Keep your items close.

Are you planning any other long hikes, ethic?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 10:45:04 AM »
In SF we would only see the bridge, so only half a day in SF or so.

Are you flying into SFO or something?  Seems like a big detour for it.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 11:09:48 AM »
In SF we would only see the bridge, so only half a day in SF or so.

Are you flying into SFO or something?  Seems like a big detour for it.

yes, flying in to SFO. Flying out of LAX

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 11:13:15 AM »
doing something like this: https://goo.gl/maps/qnxyewGeBA82

are there trails in YNP or SNP you guys recommend we hit. Can't be too strenuous because kids will be with us.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 03:59:42 PM »
That sounds like a good trip, well apportioned between those areas.

I've got lots of suggestions about Yosemite but not a lot of details that will help you take advantage. For example, I like going up to the overlook on the south side of the park, but I don't know what it's called or how to get there.

Also, when driving in through the main entrance. Go ahead and stop along the one way road where everybody else is stopping, and if you go too far consider taking 10-15 minutes to go back around or come there later. Do it near sunset if you can. That image is #1 on the list of the most beautiful and amazing images I've ever seen.

We have enjoyed biking around the main Yosemite Valley area, mostly towards Mirror Lake (you can rent bikes). This is a pretty easy ride and a way to get around without driving. It was easy enough for our 4 year old to do on her balance bike (except for one small overpass that was scary because she zoomed down it and couldn't stop). There are probably more advanced bike trails if your kids can handle it.

I don't know how much water the waterfalls will have, we always go in late summer or fall when Yosemite Falls is dry. There's Bridal Veil falls (I think) which is nice and usually has at least some water and has a decent hike that kids can handle.

There are plenty of other trails you can research, I'm sure you can get good information about which are best, but we haven't done many recently enough for me to recall.

I like Yosemite itself much better than the Sequoia National Forest, although it's not really a fair comparison. Sequoia might be nice if you just want to camp rather than "sight-see in nature". When we stayed there we spent a day doing sequoia specific stuff and the rest of time was just camping. My wife disagrees, though, telling me there were plenty of things she wants to go back and do. So... I'm no help. ;) Oh, but she did second the biking thing.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 05:03:39 PM »
thanks for the suggestions Charlie! The bike idea is great, do you recall if they rent bikes for kids?

Also, which is the "main" entrance. I googled but can't get a definite answer.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:30:21 PM by Jake »

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 05:21:48 PM »
thanks for the suggestions Knuck!

Look again!

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 05:30:41 PM »
thanks for the suggestions Knuck!

Look again!

Haha, I had knuck on my mind from the woodworking thread

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 05:31:12 PM »
Thantor, any suggestions from you regarding great hikes?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 06:21:24 PM »
Also, which is the "main" entrance. I googled but can't get a definite answer.

On the map you posted earlier, if you change it to Yosemite Valley, CA it will take you the right direction. Although there is an alternate entrance from the south that is really cool, too, but I don't see which is the right way to do that and you won't be coming from the south anyway.

do you recall if they rent bikes for kids?

I believe they do, but the last time we rode bikes we brought our own and the time before I think we didn't have kids.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 08:11:57 PM »
CDT (New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho+Montanna) in April hoping. Go over finances next month. I accept donations

I think that this would be my favorite one! Tell me how you can accept some money.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 08:50:31 PM »
also, ethic, how much money would you figure you would need for the entire trip?