Author Topic: fluids / nutrition during long exercises  (Read 1962 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
fluids / nutrition during long exercises
« on: July 20, 2008, 04:27:24 PM »
So a few weeks back I bought a road bike and have been riding it along the bike trail for exercise.  My goal is to ride the entire trail which would be about 65 miles round trip.  The goal is set for a year from now.  Now one of the issues I'm going to face is that it'd be a 4+ hour bike ride.  For that length of time I know I'll need more then just water.  Hell I'm riding for an hour right now and towards then end I need more then just water.

I was wondering if any of you knew of any resources concerning fluids and nutrition during exercises.  My two biggest thoughts along this is maintaining the proper salts level and providing enough energy for the muscles.

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
Re: fluids / nutrition during long exercises
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 08:09:04 AM »
At a basic level - keep your carbs up, get as much low GI food as possible into your diet, and salt.  The trick is slow burn energy from your food which will provide a sustained release of energy to your body.  A friend of mine is a long-distance biker and he swears by - and of all the things in the world you might think this is nuts - Coca Cola.  He carries with him a few cold cans on his rides.  He says when you're working that hard, your body just eats the sugar before it has a chance to convert to fat - the guy is as skinny as fuck, so I've no reason to doubt him.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: fluids / nutrition during long exercises
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 02:20:34 PM »
Racing MX i usually only drink water or gatorade in the camelback (i suggest you get one of those) and more gatorade simply because i dont get stomach cramps with it like i do water. When i race XC (XC/GNCC/Enduro) i tend to take vitamins in the months leading up to the season, as well as all though the season. Eat well consistently during the season, and exercise. In the average season i ride 3-5 times a week for at least 2-4 hours each time, even on race-weeks. This works well for me, and i think atv racing takes more out then what your talking. You figure the average track is 1/4 mile to a mile in length with jumps, berms, whoops, ruts, etc. At 10 laps per heat 3 heats per series at x amount of series per day with a 350 pound machine and probably close to 30 pounds of gear on it adds up to alot.

And thats MX. Enduro's are often close to 50 miles through all terrain with obstacles and very difficult courses in all weather conditions.

Some guys swear by Cardio Stack but i tend to think things like that are all in the head.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?