Author Topic: I hate data validation.  (Read 4745 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: I hate data validation.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 12:56:41 PM »
You know what sucks even more:  Working on a database where no one put in logical data validation so there are lots of bad data.  The fucked up part?  I already did work on that database and told them about the bad data, and still isn't fixed!

How the heck am I suppose to make sure my stuff is working properly when the data is wrong?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 01:26:10 PM »
You complain too much.

Everyone knows you're supposed to clean the data before using it. Duh.

Maybe this'll help.
:bonk:
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 01:38:39 PM »
Heh you try to figure out how to clean this...

The DB basically holds landmarks about requests.  There are four date fields.  One for the draft, one for the actual formal request, one for the last info being received, and for when the final decision was sent out.  The four dates should be in ascending order.  I have shit where the last info received was in 2020 but the final memo was sent out in 2004.

I *think* last time I editted the form they used to input dates to ensure that it can't happen but they haven't fixed the old data.  Oh and I want to beat the person who did their input mask for the date field.  It requires that you put the year in two digit format but then auto expands it to 4 digits.  So if you want to change the date you have to delete the first two digits of the year.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 02:47:14 PM »
Well clearly your info request was made in the future. Possibly by some sort of time traveler person secretly working in your organization in a plot to take over the world.

Or you could use the arbitrary adjustment method. Otherwise known as forcing a square into a round hole. Just modify the dates to make then make sense. I'm sure nobody actually cares about the dates anyways as long as they're in order. And if anyone asks just tell them you'll look into it and by the time come back you'll have a new job and won't have to worry about it.

There, problem solved. I'm so talented.

Or as I mentioned earlier, go to the other developers and:
 :bonk:

Do that until you feel better. It may take a few trips.
This signature intentionally left blank.