Author Topic: favorite cut of meat?  (Read 3135 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
favorite cut of meat?
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:41:46 PM »
so whats your favorite cut of meat? steak is what I want to talk about, but you can throw some pig in there as well ;)

NY strip is my fav. inch to inch and a half thick; not trimmed all the way. Fillet Mignon is great, but too expensive for backyard grilling. Rib eye's are my second favorite. Never been a fan of porterhouse or t-bone.

As far as steak on the cheap, eye of round is pretty decent.

Here is my recipe for steak...1 inch NY strip: healthy rub of lemon pepper and Worcestershire sauce - marinate for at least 12 hours. Bring temp on grill to 500 (gas is what I use)  4 minutes on one side and 5-6 minutes on the other for a nice medium/medium-rare steak. Try it!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: favorite cut of meat?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:30:16 PM »
Fillet Mignon followed by NY strip
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 11:30:48 PM »
oh as for the cooking, see my thread from last year for cheez's method with the cast iron skillet. Amazing
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 12:25:38 AM »
Filet mignon in a restaurant. With a great sauce it's my favorite dinner.

Rib eye at home cuz it's cheaper than the filet. And yeah, we use the cast iron skillet technique.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 06:26:27 AM »
Dry aged Delmonico.  Grilled at home.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 07:37:16 AM »
Filet is my favorite, but I've never tried to do it at home because, as axon said, it's pretty expensive and I'd be afraid I'd over cook.  NY Strip, otherwise.

And if we're talking non-beef, my butcher makes stuffed pork chops that are amazing.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 09:40:55 AM »
I used to always order the NY Strip but lately I've noticed a lot of restaurants 1) end up giving you a piece with hard, uneatable fat down the strip and 2) jacking the price up on the NY Strip because so many people order it.

I've taken to ordering the Rib Eye at a lot of the "chain" steak restaurants and its usually more flavorful and well marbled (with yummy fat that you can eat)

As far as "Chain" Steakhouses go, what ones do you guys prefer?

I've always like "Outback Steakhouse", but their prices are kinda crazy compared to some of the cheaper chains.  I used to go to "Bugaboo Creek" but they were just the affordable substitution, their food was always mediocre.  Then they opened the "Texas Roadhouse" who I prefer nowadays.  If you can handle the loud country music, their quality and portion size is very well priced.  I heard that a "Longhorn Steakhouse" is opening  this spring a block away from the Outback. we'll see how that works out.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 08:39:36 AM »
After writing that post yesterday I got to thinking about how long its been since I've actually gone out and ordered a steak.  So I checked my finance software... We haven't been to one of the previously mentioned chain restaurants since February 2, 2009 and before that was in late-2008.

So I get home from work and my wife, who swears she doesn't read this forum, say's, "I have a craving for steak!"  She didn't have to twist my arm.  We went back to Texas Roadhouse.  yummy yummy!!!

I go the 10oz ribeye and she got the 8oz fillet

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 09:28:54 AM »
Outback is probably the best chain steak place that's reasonably priced, but Texas Roadhouse and Lone Star aren't bad either.  I actually had a surprisingly good steak at Applebee's the other night.  I was shocked

edit: Expense accounts meant that I had steak a lot in restaurants for the last couple years

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 03:23:15 PM »
Outback is the most consistent.

Texas Roadhouse is my favorite....but I haven't eaten there in a long time. I like some steaks at Chillis.

edit: Expense accounts meant that I had steak a lot in restaurants for the last couple years

:D I can relate. When working for OD we ate steak frequently. I take advatage now when on business trips.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 04:54:56 PM »
Where is the NY Strip (I'm assuming sirloin)?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3d/BeefCutSirloin.svg

I like the tenderloin the best (filet), but I like a good sirloin too. Actually I think I like most of the cow there except the shank. Not sure if I've had "plate" or "flank" either.

edit: btw, why can't we embed svgs?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 04:56:21 PM »
It's part of the short loin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_steak

That article is more interesting to me than it should be

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 05:01:40 PM »
Quote from: All mighty Wikipedia
When still attached to the bone, and with a piece of the tenderloin also included, the strip steak becomes a T-bone steak

Well damn, the Strip is just the larger half of the T-bone with a slice of the tenderloin on the other side.

.... I'm hungry now.