Author Topic: xBox Live?  (Read 2803 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
xBox Live?
« on: July 12, 2007, 02:32:58 PM »
anyone use xBox Live (or some other multiplayer add-on) to their console gaming system?

I have an xbox360 and a nice tv but i'm a casual gamer and tend to get bored when i play video games against the computer. I get bored and quit and then feel like i wasted my money on whatever the game is i'm playing.

the only time i actually have fun is when I play against a friend when they come over...but that doens't happen much and when friends do come over, we have better things to do then play xbox.

so i'm thinking I should get xbox live and play against/with other "easy level" gamers like myself.

I just don't know if its worth the money -- it seems dumb to pay even MORE money then i've already invested in the system.  I need to get the wireless antenna thing (because I'm not running a cat cable through my apartment when I already have wi-fi set up) so thats $100...plus the cost of the live subscription which, i think is about $50.

So should i spend the money? or will i just regret it later?  Your thoughts?  How does it work anyway?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
Re: xBox Live?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 03:12:10 PM »
I've been thinking about this too for my 360 but never got around to looking at the cost since I've always assumed it was too expensive.  Is there a monthly fee?

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 03:44:17 PM »
I've had Xbox Live since I had an original xbox. Nowadays I pretty much just play Halo 2, but I still say it's worth it. The subscription lets you play every game online that's LIVE enabled (which is pretty much every Xbox game worth playing) and there's other features as well, but I'm not sure what it gives you that the free subscription doesn't.

I could've sworn I got my original Xbox wireless adapter (uses the ethernet port) for only about $60 or $70, but microsoft has it listed for >$100 which seems like a big ripoff to me. Anyways, the original xbox adapter works fine for the 360, so if you find that for cheap then go for it. It also works as a wireless adapter for a laptop (used it on linux when I couldn't get my wireless card working, but I think it needs to be configured through the xbox first)

Oh and the 12-month subscription is apparently $60, but that's with some other stuff (headset, etc)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 02:20:57 AM »
proving my point that I only enjoy playing w/ other, real people...

I can NEVER play my xBox for more then 30 minutes on my own.  Often, I'll start playing madden '07 and just quick at half time because i'm bored already.

Then tonight, my friend Craig came over and, finding nothing on tv, we popped the original Halo game in and started playing.   7 and a half hours later, we just now decided to call it quits for the night.

Holy cow, 7.5 hours for one game?  for me that is un-heard of.

I don't know whether I should be happy for myself or worried. :-)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 05:05:57 AM »
I used to have a friend in this village - he's moved back to England now - who'd come over for an all-night gaming spree. We'd play everything we had from start to end, so it wasn't so much all-night as it was all-weekend.

Tekken 4 makes for one hell of a drinking game.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 09:03:22 AM »
Hey micah.

I dunno about XBox anything but...two cents coooooming up!

Playing multiplayer online and playing with a friend right next to you is a totally different experience.  About as different as single player versus multiplayer.  Not in a bad way.  Just different.

Having said that I enjoy PC multiplayer games immensely.  More so than most (not all...Far Cry) single player gaming.

Playing against humans, even unknown ones, is far more engaging than even the best bot system ever developed.  I think you will probably enjoy the live gaming.

Ober I think has a pretty well rounded perspective here also.  What do you think O Great Dark Yeti?

Let us know how it works out if you decide to give Live a shot!

:)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 09:05:17 AM by KnuckleBuckett »