Author Topic: DRM: Doubly Retarded Microsoft  (Read 2881 times)

ahluka

• Jackass IV
DRM: Doubly Retarded Microsoft
« on: October 14, 2005, 06:47:37 AM »
What in the blue fuck is the point of DRM? OK, stupid question, I have the answer: To endlessly annoy users to the point of slitting their wrists.

I made the mistake of downloading some music from MSN Music UK. It's cheap, legal and just plain good, until you want to play that music on Fedora. Totem won't play it, neither will the supplied 'Music Player' app, and xmms? Well, Red Hat, Inc. have "Removed support for the mp3 format due to licensing issues" and are "Sorry for the inconvienience". Inconvienience!?! I just spent the best part of 20 minutes googling for something to convert WMA to MP3 (thinking Fedora had support) but found nothing that would convert DRM-protected files.

A google for something to remove DRM turned up some stuff but nothing that actually worked. I thought I'd cracked it by burning the said files to disc and then ripping them to mp3, thus removing the protection. Normally I'd say 'yay' here.

Actually the title of this thread is wrong for a couple of reasons. Firstly I have no idea if DRM is a product of Microsoft (I just know they use it) and secondly it's as much Red Hat Inc.'s fault (in this case of course, otherwise I love you RHI *kiss kiss*).

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 08:56:41 AM »
Quote from: ahluka
What in the blue fuck is the point of DRM?

Erm, to prevent legitimate copyright holders from being ripped off left, right and centre by illegal downloading of their music? Or was that a rhetorical question? :dunno:

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't shed too many tears for starving musicians, but where do you draw the line?

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 10:06:26 AM »
Quote from: Rob
Erm, to prevent legitimate copyright holders from being ripped off left, right and centre by illegal downloading of their music? Or was that a rhetorical question? :dunno:

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't shed too many tears for starving musicians, but where do you draw the line?

Extremely rhetorical.
Sorry I was just having an overdue early morning rant.

Criminals
____________   <-- Said Line

Musicians

*edit*

I'm still pissed about Red Hat's lack of support for mp3's.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 10:10:02 AM »
Red Hat's lack of support for MP3s is certainly M$$$$$'s fault.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 10:59:17 AM »
Quote from: Govtcheez
Red Hat's lack of support for MP3s is certainly M$$$$$'s fault.

Word

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 02:14:45 PM »
open up a terminal, type sudo yum install xmms-mp3, listen to mp3s with xmms. Red Hat can't ship mp3 support because the algo is copy-righted in US of eh.

Also, MS just supports DRM... its not just them that brought the idea about. Companies like Intel are behind it too. They want DRM support at the hardware level.

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 02:57:09 AM »
Quote from: Perspective
open up a terminal, type sudo yum install xmms-mp3, listen to mp3s with xmms. Red Hat can't ship mp3 support because the algo is copy-righted in US of eh.

Also, MS just supports DRM... its not just them that brought the idea about. Companies like Intel are behind it too. They want DRM support at the hardware level.

At hardware level?!?!
Well it just keeps getting better and better, don't it gracie...

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 03:35:45 AM »
Thing is, if you can play it, then you can copy it, no? Copying doesn't have to be done digitally ;)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 08:32:31 AM »
Pretty much.  It may get a little more difficult, but if video or audio gets delivered to your senses, it can be recorded somehow.