Author Topic: Jake's Pickle Recipe  (Read 3943 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Jake's Pickle Recipe
« on: October 02, 2012, 07:30:21 AM »
place holder :)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Jake's Pickle Recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 08:33:16 AM »
Are you familiar with Jake's pickle?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 10:58:17 AM »
alright! I'll put it up later tonight - I did take pictures when making them. This is my dad's recipe :)
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 11:31:02 AM »
I've been looking to make a good pickle so I'm actually pretty excited about this. I generally enjoy the recipes I get from you.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 11:48:24 AM »
last month I made a batch of refrigerator pickles per this site: http://www.foodinjars.com/2011/06/urban-preserving-refrigerator-dill-pickles  but they came out a little too vinegary and I used way to much onion. I liked the idea of making refrigerator dills, but I think I should have gone with a classic fermented pickle instead.  Looking forward to your dad's recipe Jake.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 12:29:55 PM »
The vineagar taste is the biggest hurdle in pickling. I made some pickled mushroo.s last year, took three tries

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 07:22:32 PM »
My dad calls these pickles, krokodylki - or crocs - two reasons: 1. they shrivel up in the process a bit and the skin looks like crocodile skin, 2. they have a bite to them.

here are the ingredients which make 7 pint size jars.
5 lb of pickles - the smaller the better they will come out
8 tbsp salt
1 head of garlic
6 tbsp hot paprika/hot chilli
3.3 lb sugar
1 L white vinegar
12 tbsp vegetable oil

probably the most important thing is the size of the pickle. The smaller the better. I didn't have much luck finding tiny ones, o the ones I used were about 4 inches tall. Wash them really well under hot water. Cut away the ends (optional), and slice in half. Place the halved pickles onto dishes that can hold some liquid (not flat ones) with the exposed side up. Generously spread all the salt onto the pickles. If you don't have enough dishes, you can layer them but place a lot of salt on each layer. The salt will dehydrate the pickles, and within minutes you will see water collecting in the dish. If you have small pickles, leave for at least 6 hours, I left mine for 8.

After the dehydration process, get rid of the access water, and place pickles into a deep bowl(s) - I used two. At this point I decided to quarter the pickles, the halves would work too, but the twisting effect from the vinegar would not be as prominent. I would not quarter them if they were smaller. Add the garlic - I sliced it up. Add the chilli or hot paprika...I used a combo of both spices. I used two bowls because I made one less spicy. Mix the pickles, garlic, and spices with your hand thoroughly.

Dump the sugar, vinegar, and oil into a pot - stir vigorously until sugar dissolves and bring to a slight boil. Pour the hot liquid into the bowls. You want to cover the pickles completely. They will most likely raise up - I used two plates on top to help submerge them in the liquid. Leave this standing for at least 12 hours.

After 12 hours (Mine was more like 20) the pickles contort and twist a bit. Place them tightly into the jars and cover with liquid. done.

Make sure jars are clean - don't want to spoil the product with a dirty container.

I opened one jar today and they are awesome! very crunchy. Tasted good. I think next time I will add even more spices to make them hotter. Makes great finger food...especially when drinking vodka ;)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 07:29:38 PM by Jake »
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 09:02:01 PM »
I'm going to try this next weekend, thanks Jake.

A note on the canning (mason) jars: it's best to wash them, and then before using them boil water in a large pot, throw all the lids and bands into the pot. Put two jars in at a time (unless the pot can hold more) and let each jar boil for 60 seconds. Take a jar out, take a lid and band out, and put them to use.

It's a little bit of extra work but guaranteed to ensure a bacteria free solid product when you crack them open next time. I do this anytime I use canning jars when I don't expect to eat it all right away. In my case it is usually drink since I store my spirits in them.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 09:56:50 PM »
+1