Author Topic: Gaming computer  (Read 9481 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Gaming computer
« on: February 02, 2020, 12:57:05 PM »
So my kids are using computers more and more and my daughter uses my wife's old computer that I built and my son uses my computer.  Daughter is in the basement, son is in my office.  I have 2 issues to solve:

1) I need to either build or buy a computer for him so he's not using mine.  I am thinking desktop/tower since I would buy him a monitor either way.
2) My modem/router is currently in my office 2 floors up from the basement where the kids are.  The wireless reaches down there easily but they claim that the internet speed isn't as good and it's hard to play games online.  This second issue is something I might have to contact the cable company about.  I tried putting in a wifi extender but the speed and throughput was actually worse than without it.

So my question to you all is: do I build or buy a tower... and has anyone else dealt with the wireless issues I'm running into?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Gaming computer
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 04:59:22 PM »
Have you looked at a mesh network?  I use the Netgear Orbi and am happy with it.  My router is up stairs in a closet and I have a satellite that have two computers hard wired into.  I have another satellite out in the garage.  And we have a ton of wireless devices.  So in this case, you'd have the router where it is and put a satellite either in the basement or a floor down, wherever gives the best coverage.

I recently built a gaming tower for about a grand.  I'm probably going to use the same specs and rebuild my personal computer since it is old and having problems.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 12:28:26 AM »
That Orbi system seems to be out of stock everywhere and on top of that it's kind of expensive.  I talked to Spectrum and they will run cables in my house for $50.  We'll see once they see what I want.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 06:18:54 AM »
If you can get copper get it.  No wireless competes with copper.  I use and dig Obi also, though not for my gaming PC which is on copper.

Some mesh systems are better at speed than others.  If you do go mesh take that into consideration.

Build a tower with him.

Asus mobo, AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, EVGA/Corsair/NZXT/Seasonic Power supply @ 650-700W, NZXT H510 series case, GPU AMD RX5700 8GB, at least 16GB of mem, and a 2K monitor with Freesync.  Solid machine with legs and an easy to build in case.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 08:33:19 AM »
AMD processor?  I never thought I'd see the day... :D

I think I'm going to have them run wires.  It seems like the easiest option.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 08:47:53 AM »
Oh and if I am going with those specs, I'm building it for myself and giving him mine ;)  I gotta think more about this.  I just put together the parts and it's more than I want to spend.  So I either drop down a generation or ... I don't know.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 11:04:49 AM »
That Orbi system seems to be out of stock everywhere and on top of that it's kind of expensive.  I talked to Spectrum and they will run cables in my house for $50.  We'll see once they see what I want.
Is that $50 for one drop or many drops?  Nice thing about a good wifi network is that it gives more flexibility.  Also, Amazon has plenty of Orbis

If you can get copper get it.  No wireless competes with copper.  I use and dig Obi also, though not for my gaming PC which is on copper.
Unless you are a top-tier player you probably won't notice the difference.  In my setup (copper plugged into satellite) I am getting really good speed and latency.  Even my new purely wireless box is still getting the same results.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 03:19:12 PM »
I'm going to find out what the $50 covers when they come out.  Honestly if they give me just one drop in the basement I'll gladly put a hub in and run wires to the devices that need it.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 06:07:54 AM »
Oh and if I am going with those specs, I'm building it for myself and giving him mine ;)  I gotta think more about this.  I just put together the parts and it's more than I want to spend.  So I either drop down a generation or ... I don't know.

Those are solid minimum specs unless you want to be dialing back settings or upgrading all the time.  I used to back off a bit on CPU, but these days both the GPU and CPU are really well utilized by more and more games.  Be patient and watch for sales.  They happen all the time.  It will likely save you around 30%.  Oh and I forgot the storage.  Get an M.2 NVME the best bang for the buck and all the sales are at the 1TB mark.  Plus games are big these days.  So, for cabling you will have the case front panel, the two power connectors for the mobo, and the GPU power.  With that case, meaning you won't need much routing work, it is like a few minutes.  Oh and fans.  They need juice too.  The AMD stock cooler is actually nice. 

https://bensbargains.com/categories/computer-parts-116/

https://slickdeals.net/computer-deals/?src=catnav_computers
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 06:15:11 AM by KnuckleBuckett »

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 09:25:38 AM »
You realize my current machine is well under those specs and I run current games on pretty high settings?  I'm not saying I want to go bottom of the barrel but I may go a little under that.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 06:09:09 AM »
I always try to build a machine, not for today, but to last ~5-6 solid gaming years.  Giving it that kind of legs helps with the pain of the cost.  Mine usually goes 6 with a GPU update at black Friday of 5.  I am going to be in the market in 2021 near the holidays I think.  For the PC part not the GPU part.  Also the games are really developed visually for 2K not 1080 and it shows when you see the difference.  I finally made the switch to 2K a year or so ago, grudgingly.  Glad I did though, really helps with field of view and immersion.  I kept my 1080 for my second monitor.  My monitors tend to hang out with me for a decade or a bit more.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 06:10:22 AM »
Just found this.  This is what I use.  https://www.costco.com/.product.1300092.html

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 08:52:12 AM »
I generally do the same - my last build was.... 5 years ago?  I have upgraded the hard drive and just replaced the video card when my last one died but otherwise it's going strong.  Things aren't leaping forward nearly as fast as they used to which is why I'm fine not getting nuts with the build for my son.  I mean honestly, he mostly plays Roblox, Minecraft, and TABS.  He'll randomly jump into Just Cause 3 or 4 but that's the most taxing game he really plays.  I'm not saying that won't change but I really think the next major evolution will be VR and that will require a whole different setup and I will do a separate investment for that. 

I think I'm going to see what Spectrum is willing to do and for how much.  The Orbi seems decent if I go down that path.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 06:05:33 AM »
Found this....

https://www.highgroundgaming.com/best-mesh-routers/

Basic search - best mesh system for gaming.

I think everybody wanted 4K by now, but though the software is about ready or ready, the hardware is way behind.  My 2070 can do 4K but only NOW with a single monitor and probably not cranked and at 60Hz.  Probably not in a year from now with the hot games on the way.  Even cards above the 2070 struggle with 4K.

I hope that in another generation or two they might be there.  As nice as 2K made gaming, I am cool waiting.  Also raytracing.  My gosh that is nice.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 12:04:30 AM »
Thanks - if the spectrum thing ends up being more I'll pick one of those up.