Author Topic: Guitars  (Read 2661 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Guitars
« on: December 30, 2011, 05:07:33 PM »
So in typical fashion, we sent my parents a few links to kid guitars that are basically toys for my 5 year old daughter.  And of course they completely ignore that and go get her an actual half-guitar.  Like the real thing.  Made by Hohnor.

http://www.amazon.com/Hohner-HAG250P-Sized-Classical-Guitar/dp/B001U0OWTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325282390&sr=8-1

So now of course she wants to play it, but neither my wife or I know SHIT about reading music let alone playing it.  I think she's a little young to tackle an actual guitar but she seems interested.  I've been fucking around with it since we got it and reading the 'course' book that they got her to go along with it.  I now understand positions and how to play chords and stuff, but I have some basic questions:

1) Both my daughter and I are right handed.  So which way should we hold it?  Should you strum with the right and manage the fret (?) with the left?  Or vice versa?  My wife seems to think that you strum with the left.  But strumming with the right seems more natural to me.
2) There are 2 types of strings (fret wires... or so the book calls them).  The book only covers one set, which they call 1-3.  When strumming with my right hand, I've been using the top set (looks like copper wire) instead of the bottom set (which look like clear plastic wires).  Which should I be using or does it not matter? 
3) Why are there 6 wires when it seems like you only play chords with 3 of them and you cover all the notes with 3 of them.  Is it just for different sounds/ranges?

I already figured out a chord/set of chords used in a NIN song.   :D :dblthumb2:  I just used a C? chord and moved up (?... towards the strum area) the fret bars which sounds right to me.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Guitars
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 06:29:11 PM »
Nice! :) I learned on a classical and think it's a nice way to go.

1) Righties generally strum with the right and fret with the left
2) The nylon strings are easier on the fingers and generally are the first to be taught (I think. It's been quite a while since I've looked at a book.)
3) You'll notice that when playing chords on the 3 higher strings the bass tones are missing. Technically you can cover all notes of a scale on one string.

If the "chords" you are playing on the first 3 strings are triads, then that's great. It really works learning notes and music theory.
If they're sort of limited to one or two notes while strumming the strings around them, then they just might be part of a "full" chord. I learned chords this way while learning the different strings.

Have fun! :D

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 08:30:56 PM »
Awesome.  Thanks Jen!

Yeah, it didn't come with a pick so I'll have to get one.  Using my fingers hasn't been bad, and I've been using the non-nylon strings.  What do you mean by 'triads'?  The chords they put in the book are C, G, and G7.  You're basically playing a note and strumming all 3 strings.  I have Sophie learning the notes and trying to play the chords.  However, even though she's a big kid for her age, the guitar is still a little big for her.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 09:01:41 PM »
Triads are 3-note chords. They can get a little complex when you start getting into inversions, augmented, and diminished chords. I wouldn't worry about it.

If the guitar is still big for her, stick with the one note chords but try to get her used to using different fingers from time to time.  If she keeps it up and gets into big-girl chords, she'll need more fingers.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 09:32:12 PM »
I wouldn't say she is too young, I wish I had started when I was 4-5. My cousin started just before his 4th bday and at 13 the kid is amazingly talented.

As for the strings, Nylon is the way to go for a while. It will be easier on her fingers, both the skin and the fingers themselves.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:27:03 PM »
So, why not spend your birthday money on a guitar and learn along with her?

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:31:14 PM »
2) There are 2 types of strings (fret wires... or so the book calls them).  The book only covers one set, which they call 1-3.  When strumming with my right hand, I've been using the top set (looks like copper wire) instead of the bottom set (which look like clear plastic wires).  Which should I be using or does it not matter? 

Strings and fret wires are 2 different things. The fret wire is the fret - same thing. The top 3(?) strings on a nylon-strung guitar are wrapped with wire. They're not really sets as such, they're all there to be used.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 01:20:36 PM »
I have been playing with it and I was toying with the idea of taking an entry level class before she takes a class so I can learn and help her learn.  I doubt I'll get my own guitar though.

And thanks for the clarification... i guess I mixed up my wording.