Author Topic: Let's talk about rap  (Read 7216 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Let's talk about rap
« on: April 21, 2007, 05:27:56 PM »
I can't be the only one here that listens to a lot of it, and rob and charlie appear to be interested in it, so let's talk about rap.  I listen mostly to east coast stuff, so if anyone can recommend anything from the west coast or dirty south that'd be cool.  I listen to some of the stereotypical nerdy whiteboy political stuff but I'll listen to a lot of gangsta rap as well.  If anyone has any questions or comments or whatever, shoot.

What I'm currently bumpin (listening to at a loud volume)
The Roots - Game Theory
Common - Be
Jay-Z - The Blueprint
Nas - Hip-Hop is Dead

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Let's talk about rap
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 05:29:48 PM »
Nas - Hip-Hop is Dead

^ very good song. Took off my rear view mirror in the maxima with this song lol. I listen to pretty much all rap unless its blatently gay. The only thing that really annoys me is the insistent need to yell crap like "big homie d jizzy on the track whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!" 30 times. Its stupid.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 06:24:31 PM »
It was kind of weak that he used the same beat as Thief's Theme, but Nas is the man and reusing one beat isn't going to hurt him

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 06:26:31 PM »
i thought it sounded familliar, but i never placed it. Alot of rappers do that though, you can hear the same beat as another song with a slight change. Its amazing there arent more gun fights lol
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 07:12:29 PM »
I listen to some J5, and the odd black eyed peas... but other than that the closest thing to rap I listen to is the Beastie Boys.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 07:39:26 PM »
were the BB actually considered rap?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 10:22:02 PM »
punk nowadays is just chords, distortion, and slight changes. if you can play basic chords u can play almost all punk music lol

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 10:26:20 PM »
Damnit. Twice I started to write a post but I have no idea what to say. I've been almost totally oblivious to music lately, and I never paid that much attention in the first place. Hip-hop, err... rap, is easily my favorite genre. I tend to like most of the acts in Dave Chappelle's Block Party. Mostly I just wait for my brothers to send me good song tips (I liked the last one they sent my way, but I cannot remember it at the moment, starts with an f I think).

I definitely need some new stuff. Except for a couple songs I've been listening to the same ole crap for a year or two and I don't turn it on anymore because it just doesn't do anything for me.

All time favorites are the Fugees, and I liked my Nas CD, I liked a lot of Missy Elliot (and anybody else's song with a Timbaland beat). At one point my wife and I had purchased like 8 straight CDs from black female artists.

So, I don't have much to contribute unless I can remember the name of the last one I liked. :dunno:

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 08:53:13 AM »
>  I liked my Nas CD

Which one?  If it's not Illmatic you need to check out Illmatic.  If it's Illmatic you should check out Hip-hop is Dead.  I've also got a Jay-Z vs Nas mixtape that's great.  I can send it to you if you'd like.

> All time favorites are the Fugees

Between putting out a new single and Block Party (which was awesome, but Dead Prez seemed out of place), I was really hoping they'd get back together.  It doesn't sound like that's happening, though :(
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 11:15:07 AM by Govtcheez »

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 11:38:55 AM »
>> Which one?
It was Written. I've known I need to get Illmatic for awhile, but since I haven't bought a CD in two or three years I just haven't gotten around to it. Then I try to figure out what I want to buy and I forget.

>> Block Party (which was awesome, but Dead Prez seemed out of place)
:) Yeah, Block Party was awesome, and Dead Prez really did seem out of place. But I enjoyed their music too so I didn't mind all that much.

I'm not getting my hopes up about a Fugees reunion. I don't follow it that much but I just don't get the vibe from Lauryn that she wants to record an entire album with Wyclef any time soon.

Wait, you want to send me a mixtape? :wave:

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 11:54:05 AM »
Sure, if you use AIM it'd be easy, but whatever you prefer

edit: Illmatic is one of the top 5 rap albums of all time.  Seriously, you need it.

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 07:24:31 PM »
I've heard some of the Roots lately - good stuff.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 07:42:47 PM »
I've heard some of the Roots lately - good stuff.
They're terrific - good musicians and good rappers?  Yes please.  I listen to some of their verses again and again because they're just so damn good.

stealth

• Jackass V
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 07:53:32 PM »
Actually, let's talk about sex baby, let's talk about you and me...sorry.  S&P flashback...

Roots remind me of TV on the Radio...obviously they aren't rap, but just the whole sort of vibe of the thing is similar.

I don't mind a bit of Mos Def, but his last album was terrible. 

stealth

• Jackass V
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 08:03:14 PM »
Hilltop Hoods are a great Aussie hip-hop group as are any of the bands on the Elefant Traks roster...The Herd make some good political rap.  Butterfingers are good too, but they're sort of a clash of punk/ska/hip-hop/electro/slacker.  Check them out, or Cheez if you're keen I wouldn't mind doing a burnt CD swap or something (I don't have the internet at home and work blocks mp3's etc.).