Author Topic: Help other people get into your kind of music  (Read 18562 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Help other people get into your kind of music
« on: July 28, 2005, 08:14:45 AM »
The title's fairly self explanatory, but the point of this thread is to try and expand your musical tastes a bit.

For example: I know jack fucking nothing about metal, and I'm interested in learning about it.  If some resident metalheads could suggest some decent "beginner metal" bands, I'd appreciate it.

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 08:30:07 AM »
Hey hey! Beginner metal bands, huh. I dont think such a thing exists. You'd probably dig some lighter 80's metal such as Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath, which incidently is where many metal bands have gotten lots of their inspiration from.

Heres a band i like per category of metal (these are all the categories i can think of right now)

Progressive Metal - Symphony X
Death Metal - Arch Enemy
Black Metal - Cradle of Filth (also more orchestral and melodic crud sometimes)
Speed Metal/Melodic Death Metal - Children of Bodom (had to create a special category to add these blokes in...i love them)
Nu Metal - Mudvayne (theyre not quite nu metal, but theyre as nu metal as im gonna accept)
80s metal - Iron Maiden (i love these guys so much)
Art Metal - Tool
Thrash Metal - Sepultura (their early stuff is good, new stuff is gay)
Industrial Metal - White Zombie

I could name a million awsome metal bands but its often the case that you only like it once you hear it a bunch of times.
i have a stationary fetish

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 08:42:46 AM »
> I dont think such a thing exists.

You kinda know what I mean, though?  Even though I've never heard them, it doesn't seem like I'd just want to jump into Cradle of Filth or Children of Bodom.  I could be wrong, of course.

I used to love White Zombie - can you suggest any other Industrial Metal bands?

Also, feel free to use this thread if you're curious about some other genre.  I think between everyone here we've got most types of music covered.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 10:07:34 AM »
What?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 11:09:53 AM »
If you like fast shredding guitars with operatic like singing check out "Stratovarius" or "Rhapsody".

I think the best "Begginer" metal band would be "Pantera" ... There just a classic type of metal but a lot of people hate them because they got popular. I still like 'em though

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 04:41:19 PM »
>I used to love White Zombie - can you suggest any other Industrial Metal bands?
fear factory, maybe. i guess rammstein is technically that category, too

i guess i'm one of the resident punk experts here (at least american punk) so i'll try to recommend some stuff...
- Post-punk: gang of four, fugazi, mission of burma, probably lots more. post punk is generally an "indie" + old-fashioned punk mix. like the term "indie" it can be stretched to include lots of bands. the three bands i mentioned fit smack dab in the middle though.
- hardcore punk: for the most part the genre is loud, fast bands who have some kind of moral purpose in life (ie: pro anarchy, vegan, straight edge, etc). some hardcore bands will only appeal to people with hardcore tastes. here are some bands which are broader than that: minor threat, black flag, reagan youth, suicidal tendencies, husker du, rites of spring, and the dead kennedys
- some other somewhat/crossgenre punk bands that are worth listening to: the meat puppets, the minutemen, the replacements, the violent femmes, the smiths (i guess)
- riot grrl is a small category that pretty much fizzled out in the mid nineties. it's basically feminist pop-punk. bikini kill and (maybe but probably not) hole fit here. i know next to nothing about the genre though
- ska (ask someone else)
- there's an up and coming genre called riot folk. defiance ohio is a notable band with the added bonus of selling $5 cd's and offering all of their songs for free on their web page. chad's favorite song is especially good

in general, anything sold by dischord records or worked on by ian mackaye is worth listening to. most small independent record labels sell their products directly for cheaper than you can get them from elsewhere. (dischord for instance doesn't charge shipping on anything and sells most cd's for $10). most record labels offer savings on shipping in bulk (like rykodisk or matador).

yoshi

• I AM A COW
  • Jackass III
  • Thingy
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 12:13:48 AM »
If you want everything from Queen style ballads to Metallica style metal, check it my favorite band X Japan.
GO AWAY

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 02:33:42 AM »
do they have any songs or song clips for download? i couldn't find anything illegally last time i checked

A Bit of Fruit

• Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 02:42:03 AM »
Quote from: ygfperson
>I used to love White Zombie - can you suggest any other Industrial Metal bands?
fear factory, maybe. i guess rammstein is technically that category, too

Fear Factory arnt industrial...no way.

Sang-drax

• You created me, friend, you created me.
  • Jackass IV
    • http://strandmark.com
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 05:27:52 PM »
I went to a Rammstein concert this weekend -- it was the best consert I've ever been to. They are incredible live.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 06:03:44 PM »
Ugly 80s music artists series:
Robert Smith, Boy George, Soft Cell, Flava Flav, Gary Numan, Cyndi Lauper
YOU TAKE THAT BACK

A Bit of Fruit

• Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2005, 11:21:53 PM »
>> YOU TAKE THAT BACK

God, no

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 12:23:39 AM »
was she the one on that pepsi commercial?

salvelinus

• Founders
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 06:33:54 PM »
You 20 something bitches know nothing 'bout punk rock.
What gets me is that music that was once seen as a threat to society is now the soundtrack to Pepsi commercials. Motherfucker. They've got to ruin everything.
Go with the bad joke theory - RoD

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 12:28:45 AM »
You 20 something bitches know nothing 'bout punk rock.

was that directed at me?

some of the blame rests with the artists. the ramones didn't have to allow a commercial where pepsi cans dance to 'blitzkrieg bop' if they didn't want to