Author Topic: ober hates chicken wings  (Read 39995 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Eating at home sucks
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 10:57:01 PM »
I will try and make a better post contribution later, but we actually don't differ much from Jake.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 10:25:13 AM »
on friday we had Tilapia.

Yesterday my mom made a turkey loaf, lightly charred some baby sweet peppers, and fried some potato wedges. Some sour cream based sauce on the side. it was excellent.

By the way, this thread had me look into ground turkey. I don't remember the last time I got some...if ever. But I bought a large pack at Costco - Jeany-O, for about $2.49/pound - and let me tell you, the turkey loaf was great, and probably much healthier too. thanks guys!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 01:20:52 PM »
Never had Talapia, what does it compare to?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 03:14:56 PM »
It doesn't taste like much of anything. It's very mild

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 05:05:58 PM »
so it's pointless then

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 05:11:59 PM »
No its not pointless. It has a mild fish taste like cod for example.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 05:34:28 PM »
Tilapia makes an excellent fish for fish tacos, ceviche, or basically any dish where you don't want a strong fish taste.  It takes seasoning really well.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2012, 05:39:17 PM »
I'm WEIRD with seafood, I can't eat it as a part of something else. Like fish tacos, lobster pizza, shrimp salad, etc etc. I don't know why, it just sits weird with me and freaks me out.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2012, 07:09:45 PM »
Its the fish version of chicken breasts. It has some taste but is mostly a seasoning delivery system

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 08:34:50 PM »
We have Tilapia a lot, mostly at the in-laws. They cook it whole, so it can be a pain to get the meat off without getting a bunch of bones. Apparently the eyes are the best part, but I don't remember them being all that great.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2012, 09:45:35 AM »
Its the fish version of chicken breasts. It has some taste but is mostly a seasoning delivery system
This.  Talapia is very bland on it's own but I think that's true for most fish, personally.  If you season it properly or bread it, I think it's pretty tasty.

And Jake, like I said, we eat more Ground Turkey than we do red meat.  We get 93% lean stuff.  I add a fair amount of pepper to give it a lot of taste depending on how I'm using it.  I still think red meat is better for certain dishes but ground turkey definitely has its place and is healthier for sure.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 10:00:17 AM »
> is healthier for sure.

I think that's overblown to some extent.  You can easily find 95% lean beef for cooking.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 10:17:14 AM »
This.  Talapia is very bland on it's own but I think that's true for most fish, personally.  If you season it properly or bread it, I think it's pretty tasty.
Salmon has a lot of flavor.  Now if you mean white fish I'll agree.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 11:22:31 AM »
> is healthier for sure.

I think that's overblown to some extent.  You can easily find 95% lean beef for cooking.

the Costco ground turkey is 93% lean. The ground beef I get from Sams is the same. But you need to have some fat in the beef - especially when doing burgers. Before having kids I didn't really care nor pay attention to fat content in beef. Now I do.

I'd imagine though, that Turkey has some other healthier properties that are worth it...but I haven't researched it yet.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2012, 11:24:43 AM »
tonight my wife is making lecso and serving it on white rice

In Poland, lecsó (called leczo) is usually made from red pepper, zucchini, tomatoes, onion and garlic, sausage, and spiced with powdered chilli pepper. Leczo should be served hot and spicy. It probably came to Poland from Hungary.