Author Topic: SMF Upgrade  (Read 3488 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
SMF Upgrade
« on: January 08, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »
This is probably a question for Mike, but someone else might know the answer.

One of the other boards I run has modified the default theme (I know, stupid).  Anyways, I was afraid of jacking it all up so I wanted to copy everything to a second installation and do the upgrade there to ensure I knew the steps before running it on the actual forum.  So I copied everything, including the DB.  I updated the settings file and the paths to the theme.

When I went to run 'upgrade.php', it kept telling me that it found missing or outdated files, specifically the english language from the default theme.  I uploaded them again but it still keeps saying that.  I imagine that there must be something I'm missing because I copied everything to a new location, but I have no idea what it is.  I even confirmed that the language files were updated to the right version.

A second question: what is the easiest way to take the existing 'default' theme that is modified and have it not be the default so that upgrades do not affect it?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: SMF Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 03:03:07 PM »
 :(

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »
Mike?  Nothing?  C'mon man!

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 12:15:11 PM »
Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikkkkkkkkkkkeeeee!!!

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 01:05:50 PM »
C'mon Mike!  Show the LOVE!

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 03:33:37 PM »
Sorry, every time I've read this topic I've been on my phone.

This is probably a question for Mike, but someone else might know the answer.

One of the other boards I run has modified the default theme (I know, stupid).  Anyways, I was afraid of jacking it all up so I wanted to copy everything to a second installation and do the upgrade there to ensure I knew the steps before running it on the actual forum.  So I copied everything, including the DB.  I updated the settings file and the paths to the theme.

When I went to run 'upgrade.php', it kept telling me that it found missing or outdated files, specifically the english language from the default theme.  I uploaded them again but it still keeps saying that.  I imagine that there must be something I'm missing because I copied everything to a new location, but I have no idea what it is.  I even confirmed that the language files were updated to the right version.
Is this on the default theme?

A second question: what is the easiest way to take the existing 'default' theme that is modified and have it not be the default so that upgrades do not affect it?
Copy it into a new folder, the go to the admin panel for themes (managing and installing) and use "From a directory on the server:".  I don't recall if you need a theme_info.xml file to do that or not.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 03:40:39 PM »
To the first part, yeah, it's all on the default theme as far as the customizations that were made.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 03:47:04 PM »
Sorry, I meant is it the default theme that is giving you the out of date error?  Also, IIRC you can see which particular files it is complaining about

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 04:13:02 PM »
Yes, it is the default theme that is throwing the language error, at least that's what it leads me to believe.  Where can I see that?  I don't even see the option to turn on the debugging stuff.  I haven't gotten that far into the upgrade wizard.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 11:17:39 PM »
Nevermind.  I met with him tonight.  He's switching to vBulletin.  SMF is too stale and not 'social' enough for him to continue with.