Author Topic: Java  (Read 3989 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Java
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:08:42 PM »
So tomorrow I have a phone screen with a company and they use Java and PHP (no idea why yet).  So I'm brushing up on my Java and am quickly raging.  Those that have used it for server work, is it really as bad and annoying as I remember?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Java
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:31:08 PM »
Holy hell, even loading a JSON file is difficult

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 11:34:57 PM »
I actually like a lot of aspects of Java but if I had a choice I'd still go with PHP.  And there are libraries for JSON. I think we use simpleJSON or something like that.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:05:44 AM »
Fuck it, it can just burn in hell!  It's like going back to the stone ages.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 07:19:43 AM »
Do they really use java or was the job posting written by an hr person who used buzz terms or meant javaSCRIPT?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 09:46:43 AM »
They really do mean Java :(

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »
Dude... it's really not that bad.  Is it J2EE or system based Java?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 10:58:34 AM »
I have no idea.  I just found the language infuriating trying to do simple things.  I was *required* to put the class FooBar in the file FooBar.java for a self contained program.  Fuck you java!  Then the whole JSON thing.  4 lines just to do the parsing and then have to do shit like 'obj.get('foo').asArray()'.  Fuck you, I shouldn't have to tell you the type as the JSON syntax can tell you that already.  So much verbosity to the language.

Honestly, I'm going to ask the percentage of time I'd be working on Java code vs PHP and if it isn't less than 5% I'll pass.  I can probably handle having to look it once in awhile but dealing with it often isn't going to fly.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 11:13:29 AM »
dude, I hear you.  I'm a PHP guy and in the interview for my current job someone casually mentioned that one of their legacy sites is on a .NET framework.  But then they said, "oh its all in a CMS so if you ever need to touch it, it wouldn't need any programming."  So what was my first assignment at this job?  Work with the client to upgrade the CMS by 5 versions and then fixing all the custom tools that broke along the way.  Talk about baptism by fire.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 12:04:43 PM »
Ask them if they'd let you Groovy, they might be impressed and Groovy is lovely to program with.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 01:25:07 PM »
So I talked with them and their PHP and Java teams are separate (mostly).  So I probably wouldn't have to deal with java very often.