Author Topic: Battery Care  (Read 2428 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Battery Care
« on: April 22, 2010, 12:57:16 PM »
(I'm procrastinating today, so I'm gonna post a bunch of crap, feel free to ignore :p)

Interesting, some of these were contrary to what I thought before.

http://ca.tech.yahoo.com/blogs/the_working_guy/rss/article/4468
• Your lithium-ion battery will last for 300 to 500 discharge cycles, but it will live longer if it is only partially discharged each time instead of drained to nothing.
•  Avoid draining the battery completely whenever possible.
• Lithium-ion batteries don't have the "memory" problem of old batteries (which would not recharge fully if they weren't drained to zero), but they do need periodic recalibration to maintain the circuitry inside that measures the health of the battery. Fully drain and recharge your battery once every few months to keep it calibrated.
• The average battery lasts two to three years, after which oxidation inside the cell begins to impact the cell severely.
• The hotter the cell, the more it loses its charge, even when turned off. (That's why some people still keep batteries in the fridge.) The worst thing for your battery is to run it full bore at an elevated temperature.
• The optimum level of charge for storing a battery is 40 per cent of the maximum capacity.
• Once a lithium-ion battery is worn out, there's no way to revive it. However, most ostensibly "dead" batteries can be refurbished if properly recycled.
• There's no reason to remove a battery from your laptop if it's fully charged, as you can't "overcharge" it. Charging circuitry is simply turned off once a battery reaches its capacity.
• Don't buy a battery with the intent to store it and use it in the future, but if you do end up with a spare, consider the fridge for storage (not the freezer) and drain it a bit first.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Battery Care
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 01:01:55 PM »
Yeah, I actually bought an app for my iPhone that told me all of that and I use that app when charging most of the time because it does trickle charging and full-cycle charges once a month or so.  Good information that everyone should know.