Author Topic: And Google just killed Twitter  (Read 3217 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
And Google just killed Twitter
« on: February 09, 2010, 02:15:41 PM »
buzz.google.com

I'm guessing it's only a matter of time.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: And Google just killed Twitter
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 02:24:42 PM »
Awesome!

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 02:36:40 PM »
certainly looks like it will be more significant than Wave.  integration with gmail is a huge win over having to check yet another INBOX on the web

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 03:37:56 PM »
heck, to me it looks like a facebook killer!

I was just talking to my wife the other day about how I'm sick of facebook but I love its origianl purpose.

In facebook I like the status updates, the messaging and the photosharing.  But I don't care about the apps or the games or the groups.  facebook has gotten so conveluted.   

Buzz looks like a good start!  Now, if only i could get all my friends and family to sign up for gmail accounts and start using buzz :(
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »
Now, if only i could get all my friends and family to sign up for gmail accounts and start using buzz :(

just write a Buzz app for facebook!

But I don't care about the apps

oh no, paradox!

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 04:09:03 PM »
I don't really think it's a Facebook killer unless they start trying to link you to other people. I guess I see that as more what Facebook does (help you connect with old friends). But it wouldn't take much to move more into Facebook territory. I don't think that's what they'll do though in the near term. Twitter however is practically identical competition.

Honestly, I might actually do the Buzz thing, while I've held off from Twitter. It might be more of my blog interface. And possibly my interface to Facebook depending on the integration.

I also wonder about the future of Wave with this. They seem to overlap a lot and maybe this is a bridge to Wave but this might be enough for a lot of people that don't need to Wave. It should be interesting to see how quickly this catches on.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 11:35:34 PM »
I was just talking to my wife the other day about how I'm sick of facebook but I love its origianl purpose.
To be fair, facebook was originally supposed to be "hey I'm in college, and you are too. what's your name again?"

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 08:33:01 AM »
To be fair, facebook was originally supposed to be "hey I'm in college, and you are too. what's your name again?"

good point... and I like that original purpose.  In that case, let me substitute the word "original" with the phrase "perceived core."

so my original sentence should read: "I'm sick of facebook but I love its perceived core purpose."  -- meaning what most people who first sign up for facebook perceive its purpose to be: following status updates and viewing pictures while networking and finding long lost friends. 

That and stalking people.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 11:30:35 AM »
So I guess I'm going to have to finally give up my real email address for those that want to follow me.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 12:29:19 PM »

In facebook I like the status updates, the messaging and the photosharing.  But I don't care about the apps or the games or the groups.  facebook has gotten so conveluted.   
So fucking tailor it.  I'm so sick of people ... "I hate the game updates"... YOU CAN FUCKING HIDE THAT SHIT!!

Don't bitch about the tool if you don't know or care to take the time to know how to use it.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 12:39:26 PM »
I do hide all the updates I don't like.

my point was just that I think facebook has gotten too bloated.  Not that this is in itself is a bad thing but the presentation makes it seem a bit complex. I don't mean "complex" in the "I can't figure it out" way, I mean it in the cluttered bloated design kinda way.

Look at google - they do fucking everything.  But if you go to www.google.com its just a search engine.  The interface is the same way its been for the last 10 years and people are happy with that.  Sure you can use google/ig and customize it with widgets but thats up to you to build it up however you see fit.  Facebook is the opposite.  Thats all I'm saying.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 12:47:54 PM »
Facebook also isn't a fucking search engine.  I don't see your point?  I go to FB and the main thing I see is the feed, which is what you're after, based on your previous comments.  The apps are the left... profile upper-right.. notifications upper-left.  How much more simple do you want it?  They've even given you two freaking options for the feed!

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 01:24:50 PM »
Facebook also isn't a fucking search engine.  I don't see your point?  I go to FB and the main thing I see is the feed, which is what you're after, based on your previous comments.  The apps are the left... profile upper-right.. notifications upper-left.  How much more simple do you want it?  They've even given you two freaking options for the feed!
Except that random game crap appears in the feeds and I get random game crap as invites.  You can only passively block them.  If FB had a "block games" type of option I'd be a lot happier.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 02:19:03 PM »
http://lite.facebook.com/ much better IMHO. Although it's creeping towards the "full" site slowly.