Author Topic: Wilco - Kicking Television  (Read 2246 times)

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
Wilco - Kicking Television
« on: December 27, 2005, 05:14:47 PM »
Just got this the other day, and I'm really happy with it. It's a two-discer comprised of live songs from a concert in, I think, Chicago. The songs have been re-tooled in the studio to give them a smoother, more "CD-like" sound, of course.

Now, I've never heard any other Wilco songs beyond Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, but YHF is an amazing CD, and I figured I could use the introduction to other Wilco songs. It's hard to comment on the other songs though, as I've been sticking mainly to YHF songs that I know--and they sound amazing. I feel that these live versions almost blow the YHF versions right out of the water, but they're almost hard to compare as they feel like entirely different songs. YHF isn't a CD that you're really going to find yourself blasting at your car's top volume, screaming at the top of your lungs and banging on your shifting knob in rhythm to, but this is.

It's basically Wilco rocking the fuck out. And it's great.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 08:17:14 AM »
My favourite Wilco album (though it's actually half Wilco/half Billy Bragg) is Mermaid Avenue Vol. 1, a collection of Woody Guthrie covers.  A.M. is also great, it's more or less alt-country.  Summerteeth is also pretty good, more of a pop flavour to it, most of the songs are lead by piano/keyboards and organs.

YHF totally blew me away when I first heard it.  It was the middle of summer, and the power had gone out during a storm.  I had to listen to it on my portable.  So I'm lying in my room with candles going and this voice comes crackling through "I am an American aquarium drinker, I assassin down the avenue"...I couldn't physically move until the album had finished.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 08:25:52 AM »
My favorite Wilco album is definitely YHF, but Being There is a close second.  It's a lot more country-ish than YHF is.