Author Topic: New Order  (Read 14245 times)

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
New Order
« on: May 25, 2005, 08:34:55 AM »
Picked up "Waiting For the Sirens' Call" today.  It's a bit more like their old stuff, circa "Power, Corruption and Lies", more synth/keyboard based than 2001's "Get Ready" (which was somewhat more industrial).  It's typical New Order, so you know pretty much what you're getting yourself into, but they just don't seem capable of putting out a bad album.  Hooky's bass is just brilliant, it bounces and swirls around every track, though you'd scarcely notice it on the Ana Matronic guest song "Jet Stream" (which, btw, is a bit naff, but at least listenable).  Barney's lyrics are pretty basic, but effective.  But you don't listen to New Order for the lyrics, so it's all good.  Really impressed with "Who's Joe?", "I Told You So", "Morning Night and Day" and the closer "Turn".  All in all for me it's a solid 4/5.  I really loved "Get Ready", which got me into the band in the first place and subsequently lead to my Joy Division obsession.  Fans will not be disappointed; just don't hope for another fucking "Blue Monday".

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
New Order
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 04:31:37 PM »
It was always downhill after Ian Curtis died...

:p

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
New Order
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 11:11:57 PM »
:screwy:

:nyd: mmm hmmm das what i'm talking bout