Author Topic: Thinking about a new camera  (Read 6620 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Thinking about a new camera
« on: September 29, 2015, 04:34:42 PM »
I'm thinking about upgrading my camera. I have an older Canon and I think it might be time to get something newer.

I've been pondering the Sony A5100 and A6000 and think I'm leaning towards the A6000 now that the firmware recently got upgraded.

Anyone use either of these? The 6K seems to sound like a reasonable bang for buck camera.
This signature intentionally left blank.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Thinking about a new camera
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 07:07:33 PM »
You should just get the a7S II. Mmmmm.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 08:53:17 PM »
hahahahahaha.

I did watch some reviews and thought hey I should get one until I looked at the price...

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 10:52:23 AM »
I'm sure this is a stupid response to your question, but unless you're doing pro/semi-pro photography, I'd just get a nicer phone.  My wife's iPhone 6 takes better pictures than our Canon Rebel XS.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 11:27:51 AM »
But then you are one of those people

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 07:58:44 PM »
Benny if that is really true then there is likely an issue with the Canon or user inexperience.  That is like saying the FiT can outperform a Challenger.  Might be smaller, get better mileage, but in the hands of somebody who knows how to drive a powerful vehicle the comparison falls flat.  Using a  camera of that quality and better takes a plenty of experience with a mighty fine payoff.  Not dissing the modern cell phone cameras, but that is not, IMO, a fair statement based purely on the capability of those two hardware platforms.

I also tend to have better luck with my cell phone over my T5i, that said I KNOW what the Canon can do in more skilled hands than my own and the cell phone cam pales in comparison.  I hope to remedy that sometime soon though.  I would like to take a class for this purpose.   Now to find one around here.......

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 09:52:00 PM »
Trust me.  I've tried with this Canon.  I've read photography stuff all over the web.  It over exposes anything that isn't perfectly lit and outdoors.  Most outdoor pics are great with it.  But it's fuckin useless inside.  I've tried all kinds of diffusers and other tricks to make it better but it's pointless.  Plus you have to haul the goddamn thing all over the place.  It's just... hassle.

My wife's phone, on the other hand, takes great pictures in almost any lighting, it's always handy, and the exposure is almost always perfect.  So again, I think my point stands.  Unless you're doing more than taking family pictures, a DSLR these days is throwing money down the drain.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 11:28:24 PM »
The thing I still like about a DSLR is that the battery lasts a LOT longer than the phone.  I can shoot for days on one battery charge.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 12:32:52 AM »
So I splurged and got the a6000. After playing with it in the store for a bit and at home I think I'm really going to like this camera. It didn't take me very long to figure out the controls and it had some nice features on it. I got it with the kit lens (16-50) which seems to do reasonably well and match the more point and shoot feel of the camera. I also picked up a couple other lenses to try out (after lots of research), a prime and a slightly larger range zoom (of "better" quality), so we'll see if I wasted money. I'm calling it a bit of a belated birthday present to myself.

I'm pretty happy so far with the sample shots I've been getting without really even trying to figure out the lenses yet. Here's a sample from some supplies for my wedding this weekend. I finally got a picture with "bokeh" and now actually know what that word means. As a side effect of all my research I've actually learned a little bit about photography.

Anyways,

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 12:14:44 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out f-stops and shutter speeds and such (basically learn photography) but I'm very pleased so far with this camera. I think it'll be a good one to grow with.

Here's one of my pup with the sel28f20 lens. I really like it as a general prime lens, it works out to about a 42mm with the crop factor which is a nice split between 35mm and 50mm which I've read are pretty common these days. I figured it was a good choice (slightly spendy) in case I decide to ever go full-frame.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 12:16:02 PM »
Maggie really doesn't like to be photographed but she was a good sport last night with me annoying her while I played around with the camera.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 05:57:29 AM »
 :)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 09:26:12 AM »
I was also thinking about a new camera since my rebel does not shoot video, and the a6000 was on my short list....well, I don't need to think about it anymore, I won a nice a6000 kit at the conference I was at!! Kit has the standard and 210 lens. Also a nice tripod. Looking forward to playing with it over the weekend.

Share any tips on what you've learned thus far.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 11:57:52 AM »
wow, nice door prize! especially since you blew off a day of the conference :)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 05:23:58 PM »
I'm still trying to figure it out, but turn off WiFi unless you're going to use it, the battery life on these is not impressive. I set a few of the custom buttons too. One for manual zoom and one to switch AF/MF. I also disabled the auto focus on the top button and did the back button autofocus, the AEL button. You can watch a couple of the Gary Fong videos on youtube and learn quite a bit too. I think it's a great little camera. I bought a few lenses for it too so once you decide to upgrade and figure out what focal length you like let me know and I can tell you more about the ones I have.