Author Topic: NBA  (Read 13330 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
NBA
« on: April 15, 2018, 10:21:59 PM »
in the 90's, when Bulls rained supreme, I would watch as many games as I could. I remember spending the time with my dad, fresh immigrants, learning and loving the game. After that, it was every once in a while, then I favored football, and then I stopped watching sports all together. I decided to give it another shot in the last off season - yes, the NBA off season was full of drama, and it was spectacular. The season it self was pretty great as well. I actually only watched a few games, but follow the entire league closely and would watch highlights almost daily (Instagram is great for that type of thing BTW). And now the playoffs are here - and I will watch as many games as I can.

The difference this time around is that I am not rooting for any one team especially - but I mostly track what my favorite and more interesting players are doing. I do wish that Thunder will win the Championship this year, but it is highly unlikely with the way that both Rockets and GSW have been playing. Westbrook is my favorite player.

Anyone else watching the NBA?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: NBA
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 09:16:11 AM »
Love it.  Like you, I used to watch a lot in the 90s.  I started watching more in the past 5 years or so and got really into it with the Cavs doing so well.  My kids both love basketball and we all watch the games together (even my wife).  We went to a Cavs game earlier this year and we went to one of the Finals watch parties last year which was surprisingly fun :)

I do follow the entire league and watch a lot of highlights and stay up on the news.  And I have to say that I don't like Westbrook.  There is a reason Harden and Durant left OKC and I think it is him.  No one averages a triple double for the season and is a team player.  Sorry.  I don't think they have a shot at the title either.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 09:49:10 AM »
Love it.  Like you, I used to watch a lot in the 90s.  I started watching more in the past 5 years or so and got really into it with the Cavs doing so well.  My kids both love basketball and we all watch the games together (even my wife).  We went to a Cavs game earlier this year and we went to one of the Finals watch parties last year which was surprisingly fun :)

It helps when your team is doing well, that is for sure! my daughter and wife are not interested at all, and my son is just starting to get interested, so we'll see how that turns out.

And I have to say that I don't like Westbrook.  There is a reason Harden and Durant left OKC and I think it is him.

He is a super polarizing player. you either love him or hate him. I just love watching him play - he is super explosive and is entertaining both on the court and in the interviews :D as for Harden and KD leaving, it is hard to have two superstars on a single team, let alone three - at that point no one is satisfied with how much they get to touch the ball.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:22:39 AM by Jake »
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 10:04:46 AM »
I got into it a couple of years back when the raptors made a playoff run. I like it when it's competitive (teams are evenly matched) but regular season games I don't enjoy that much....

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 10:52:39 AM »
as for Harden and KD leaving, it is hard to have two superstars on a single team, let alone three - at that point no one is satisfied with how much they get to touch the ball.
Really?  Seems like the Cavs have done it alright (fuck Kyrie - the dude is a flat-earther... give me a break).  And the Warriors?  The Rockets have done really well despite everyone's concerns with Harden and CP.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 11:54:40 AM »
Been watching/following the NBA for 33 years, since the Kings moved to Sacramento. The Kings were only good for about 6 of those years but I still follow the rest of the league. It's definitely gotten more fun/exciting in the last 5 years or so.

For now I'm pretty busy, so I don't watch much (especially since I no longer get the Kings games where I live). I do have sports people in my twitter feed and occasionally I'll listen to an NBA related podcast so that's mostly how I end up keeping up to date on what's happening. I'll watch playoff games here and there and probably a lot of the finals.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 12:00:33 PM »
Also, I don't really love or hate Westbrook. :D

I tend to root for guys that a lot of people hate, especially if the reasons for the hate are dubious. Westbrook falls into that category just enough that I do kinda want him to succeed, but not enough that I actively root for him.

LeBron on the other hand, is entirely there, and so I've ended up wanting Cleveland (and previously Miami) to win when it got down to the finals.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 12:19:18 PM »
Woot!  The King reigns supreme :)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 11:05:38 AM »
and OKC is out. Too bad. But this season and series just intensified my respect for Westbrook. He is a beast. There is not another player right now (or that I can remember) that plays with such intensity, energy, and passion - every single game, every single minute. He is awesome to watch. PG didn't show up this game, and that's too bad - but he did have a great series. Melo should retire. He just looks so lazy on the court - very sluggish. But with all that said - I will be cheering for Utah in the second round match up. They have some awesome players themselves. I knew all about Mitchel, but what about that Ingles guy - he is fun to watch as well.

Ober, what do you think will happen in game 7? Looks like James is in a similar spot to Wesbrook in that his supporting cast doesn't always show up to play.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 08:28:03 AM »
Sorry I didn't see this before the game.  I was frankly worried they'd lose that series.  You're absolutely right that Lebron isn't getting the support he needs.  The only reason they won that game is because he put up 45.  I will say that he was out for a bit in the 3rd and 4th quarter with some cramping and the team did step up.  Love was heating up and Tristan finally came alive.  I think George Hill played a big role in that game too.  For whatever reason, we've always had issues getting past the Pacers.  I'm not saying it will be a cake walk to the Finals but I think we match up against the Raptors better than the Pacers.  I think we'll have trouble against the 76ers (who should have no problem with the Celtics).

I don't think Utah will get past the Rockets.  The Rockets are clicking on all cylinders and I think they have a shot at taking out the Warriors in the West.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 11:31:25 AM »
You guys still watching? Both conference finals were exciting. I'm bummed that Celtics didn't win - but you have to respect LJ for pulling it out - guy is a beast. I think that Celtics will dominate next year if all guys are healthy and they keep a similar squad.

On the other side, I think that Rockets lost it because they lost CP3 the last two games. I don't like him much, but he is a difference maker for that team, for sure. I lost some love for Harden after his shitty playoff performance and hope that LJ gets MVP and not him.

I think that warriors take it in 6 games.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 01:43:50 PM »
My guess is Warriors in 5 (maybe 4).

Interesting that the two home teams with higher seeds both shot horribly from 3 in game 7 and lost to the teams with championship experience.

I lost some love for Harden after his shitty playoff performance.

???

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 05:30:38 PM »
I'm still watching.  I'm always going to root for the Cavs, but I don't think Lebron can drag this squad over the finish line 4 times in a row.  I think the Warriors are beatable but I hope it's at least an entertaining series.  I'm hoping for at least 6 games.  God, if they get swept I'll be pissed. 

Game 7 in the east was a good one.  And yeah, if the Celtics maintain plus add back Kyrie and Haywood... yikes.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 07:37:07 PM »
I lost some love for Harden after his shitty playoff performance.

???

Doesn't look like he is the leader of that team and chokes when the going gets tough. He had nice stats during the regular season and even through most of the playoffs but he should use his skills to drive the ball into the paint more instead of trying for that 3 point shot - he was 19 for 78 through that series!! holy shit...that is just ugly. In game 11 he missed all 11 that he took. If he say converted half of those attempts to regular shots and made half of those, they would have one the game. Overall, the 3 point baskeball a lot of the teams (mainly west coast) play, looks cool when they go in, but when they don't, it is not fun to watch. But I guess that is what the rockets do - their coach was mic's up one of the games vs the jazz and said something along the lines "defense and shooting 3s is what we do"

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 07:39:48 PM »
I'm still watching.  I'm always going to root for the Cavs, but I don't think Lebron can drag this squad over the finish line 4 times in a row.  I think the Warriors are beatable but I hope it's at least an entertaining series.  I'm hoping for at least 6 games.  God, if they get swept I'll be pissed. 

You know, if he pulls this off, and wins a championship this year, that will be an incredible feat. At that point I would be ready to say he is [almost] as good as Jordan and would move him up in my ranking past Kobe.

I caught a glimpse of some sports talk show earlier today and they had like 20+ analysts predict the winner and they all chose the warriors.