Author Topic: How much do you tip?  (Read 3068 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
How much do you tip?
« on: April 13, 2019, 08:37:39 PM »
This might only apply to US-based sinkers.  But, how much do you generally tip?

In the past, I used to just take 15% and round up to the nearest dollar.  The last few years, I've tried to be nicer though and go closer to 18-20%, especially if the service is good or the waitress is flirty.

So what do you guys generally do?

I'm thinking about this because tonight, I went by myself to a chain-restaurant and sat at the bar for dinner.  I ordered like 5 drinks but the guy rang one of them in as a water.  Super nice move.  But on a $38.79 tab I gave him a $7 tip. Which comes out to just shy of 17%.  I feel like, for all the time I was there and how attentive he was, I should have been a better tipper.

Thought?  genuinely curious.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: How much do you tip?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 01:40:37 AM »
Generally 20%+. I just do the times 2 thing and round up if it's wonky to whole dollars.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 07:38:09 AM »
Generally 20%+. I just do the times 2 thing and round up if it's wonky to whole dollars.

+1

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 09:09:09 AM »
20% for my hairdresser. $1 at my local coffee shop. $1 on my take-out orders at my local pizza place.

Haircut tips I generally go a bit higher. Like a $17 hair cut I'll give a $5 tip; especially if the hairdresser spent a lot of time.

Take out is like a whole another topic. I almost never leave a tip if its just pizza or grinders (subs/hoagies/whatever-you-call them).  If its like a bunch of individual meals that came with salads and stuff that someone had to box up, I'll do like $2 or something. But that scenario is pretty rare because we don't order that kind of take out much.   Generally I avoid situations that require tipping (like free valet parking)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 10:04:15 AM »
I'm thinking about this because tonight, I went by myself to a chain-restaurant and sat at the bar for dinner.  I ordered like 5 drinks but the guy rang one of them in as a water.  Super nice move.  But on a $38.79 tab I gave him a $7 tip. Which comes out to just shy of 17%.  I feel like, for all the time I was there and how attentive he was, I should have been a better tipper.

I missed this bit originally. For a situation like this I probably would have tipped $10. If people are giving you free stuff, or you're using free drink tickets or something, I think it's still polite to tip what the amount would have been. And in the "getting free stuff" scenario, if you're going to visit more frequently it's definitely worth while to tip heavy.

Related, I've learned from family and servers that you should try and tip in cash as much as possible too. So I generally try and carry a few ones and fives just to cover that. Also, it's nice to be able to cover the tip if someone else is offering to pay the bill. I have a lot of family and friends that like to try and steal the bill out from under the other person so it's just a nice gesture I think.
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 10:53:50 AM »
My haircut is $45, and I hit the 20% tip option when I pay. $9ish or so. But I've been going to this guy for 8 years or so.
yeah, I get cheap hair cuts at chain stores like great cuts/super cuts/master cuts/sports clips/cost cutters.  They're like all the same and all $16-18.  So even though percentage wise $3-4 is appropriate, I usually go at least $5.  (unless it's like a 5-minute haircut where they just buzz the sides and are quick to get me out of the chair. Then they get the $3-4)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 09:34:06 PM »
I usually aim for 20%.  I always do $5 for haircuts - the only options they give on the screen are 5/10/15 - who pays nearly 100% tip on a haircut?  I usually do $2 for anyone carrying food out to a curb-side situation and I don't tip if I walk in to grab the food.  I'm sure there are other situations that I treat differently.  But I can't think of others that don't fall in the 20% thing.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 11:11:24 AM »
20%+ for sit down service - and we don't have a problem paying around 30% if service is real good...on the flip side, if service sucks, I'll pay less - that very rarely happens though.

Like Ober, I don't tip got carry out.

I don't get haircuts.

I usually tip $5 for guys helping me load shit into the truck.

$5 to $10 for valet - depending on the location.

In bars my tips go up in sync with my blood alcohol level :D
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.