Author Topic: 2015 North East Blizzard  (Read 7014 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: 2015 North East Blizzard
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 10:32:27 AM »
They announced yesterday that the office would be closed. I think there's still enough snow and bad roads that they would have had to eventually close today anyway, even without the hype.

That said, I'm expected to work from home. We had meetings yesterday to prioritize work that still needs to get done; with emphasis on the fact that deadlines don't move for weather.  Of course, its 10:30 and I'm just starting now.  I'll probably stop for a while in a couple hours to have lunch, shovel and play with the kids in the snow.  Hopefully I don't have to stay up to late tonight working to catch up.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 04:35:46 PM »
Worked from home today even though roads ended up being fine. Just means more muffins for me.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 08:15:07 PM »
Nothing much here.  Inch or so.

Wemboe

• Jackass I
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 05:29:51 AM »
Pretty good storm, this girl I've been talking to wanted to go outside and I took her up on it, we ended up spending the whole day together playing in the snow, going through dollar stores, eating and pretending to study in Tim Hortons. So if anything, this storm has given me a day between my exams AND a fun day with a cute girl. Just thought I'd let you all know how great this "storm" was  :D

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 09:34:26 AM »
I drove into work in a T-shirt.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 10:14:11 AM »
I'm gonna buy some new T-shirts.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 12:37:27 PM »
Do you have to go into the office?

relevant: http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/01/adult-snow-day-is-dying-and-thats-sad.html

Whatever the case, for many people, a day that would in 1995 have been spent watching the snow pile up against the windowsills, hanging out with the kids, or vegging out with daytime TV
... meant not getting paid for it or required to take a PTO day

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 01:18:59 PM »
Yeah, if you read through the comments on that article a lot of people point that out Mike, and also point out the benefits of having the flexibility to work from home.  I agree and for a lot of people, living in the future either doesn't change anything (like some of my nurse friends who slept at their jobs overnight) or it makes life better - no need to get into a car accident to go to work, or get behind on work, or loose a day's pay.  But for the specific group that the author is talking about, salaried employees with desk jobs, I think the article rings true. 

EDIT: I'll also point out (again, for the targeted group the article is addressing) that there is also a bit of telecommuting hypocrisy from companies.  At the last few jobs I've worked at, and from what I anecdotally hear from others on social media, companies generally frown on letting employees work from home when the employee wants to but have no problems expecting people to put in EXTRA hours at home at night, or work at home on days when the office would other wise be closed for bad weather and the like.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 01:30:51 PM »
if you read through the comments on that article

Good god, why would I willingly enter that hell hole?  Comments on 95%+ of websites are pure and utter crap.

BTW, salaried doesn't matter.  What matters if you are exempt or not.  And even if you are exempt they can still require you take a PTO day.  One of the sites I go to talks about work issues and some of the stuff I see about companies and their PTO policies makes me really glad to be in CA with solid PTO protections.

I do agree that tech has outpaced management adoption.  There are still plenty of people that want to see a body at the desk in order to think they are working.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 05:01:09 PM »
It isn't just management.  Coworkers are often the same.  If you aren't there you MUST be slacking.   :rolleyes:

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 05:08:28 PM »
True enough.  Especially those that aren't in your department and don't get the same flexibility.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2015, 06:59:50 PM »
True enough.  Especially those that aren't in your department and don't get the same flexibility.

:thumbsup:

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2015, 07:12:47 PM »
I honestly think the ability to WFH is huge and I take advantage of it quite a bit. I'm often more productive from home because no one stops by my desk 'for a chat'.  And thankfully our mgmt is reasonable enough to be very flexible with it. I don't know how I would react if a company told me I could only work from the office.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 01:46:44 PM »
Stay safe guys!

we haven't had a real snow storm in my neck of the woods yet - and I'm really hoping for some!

I got my wish! we got over a foot yesterday :)
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.