Author Topic: went to an auction  (Read 1996 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
went to an auction
« on: October 20, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
A few weeks ago I went up to the cabin without the family (they had a couple friends' birthdays to go to) and I decided to go to an estate type auction. My first one! and it was really fun. Really long, but really fun. (lasted about 5 hours or so).

I picked up some old school cross cut saws. Mostly to "decorate" the cabin, but if I needed them I could certainly use them. They are in decent shape and would only require some sharpening. I got really lucky on one of them without even knowing it. It is a 4 foot saw (the one on the right) that is about a 100 years old an even a little order. Based on the medallion, it was manufactured between 1896-1917. http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/medv2.html

I know it would lose some value, but I cleaned it up. Got rid of all the rust, sanded the handle, stained, and sealed it. Polished the medallions and pins. Final result is below.

Also picked up two old time sleds for the kids. Last year I was pulling them on their plastic, sit-on-the ground type of sleds, behind the atv, and inadvertently hit a small tree stump which resulted in a busted sled and my son's sore butt. So these should do the trick. In the process of restoring these as well.

Overall I was really happy with the auction experience and will want to go again. I got most of the items I wanted. I lost on a really cool ice saw, but it went for over a hundred bucks.

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: went to an auction
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 03:38:21 PM »
Cool stuff.  Do you have pics of the sleds?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 03:50:37 PM »
Cool stuff.  Do you have pics of the sleds?

yes, I meant to post and forgot.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 12:05:00 AM »
Those are the best kinds of sleds.  The best is when you get a little ice before snow and you have a hard surface on a hill.  That makes for some wicked drifting.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 06:02:05 AM »
Chrome polish the runners to a mirror and wax em.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 12:16:57 AM »
I restored the sleds. came out pretty nice. Blue for my girl. Firetruck red for the boy.

I wish I had a sandblaster with projects like this.