Author Topic: Aikido  (Read 5582 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Aikido
« on: February 16, 2011, 12:27:04 AM »
So, I've been thinking about doing another martial art for some time but after some hounding by the doc it went from thinking to doing.  I did some reading up and various arts and decided that Aikido sounded interesting.  Did some searching around and found a dojo with a good website and a good scheduled and then meet with the sensei.  I liked his approach and philosophy in regards to training.

On Jan 22 & 23 I took their beginning Aikido course which lasted the majority of each day.  The purpose of it was to basically give enough of an introduction that one could go to classes and be able to participate.  Plus it gave those that were on the fence a way to see if it was for them.  I greatly enjoyed the time and decided to start training.

The following week (Jan 24-30) they did Kangeiko which is basically a week of intensive training.  During the week they offered 3 or 4 classes a day with a three hour class Saturday and Sunday morning.  For me this gave me a chance to do the 6:30 am class before work and the 5pm class right after work.  All the classes were all levels so it was interesting seeing techniques and trying to get the basics out of it.  Luckily the stuff scales well.

Unfortunately for me on Wednesday (Jan 26) my back was sore after class and really hurt the next day.  So that meant no rolling as it fucking hurt when I tried.  Luckily the techniques can be taken to the point where I almost need to roll and then stopped.  Turns out I got a spasm in the right flank muscles.  Crappy part is that it is just now clearing up.  Yesterday I was able to do side rolls during class but those muscles were killing me afterwards.  Hoping to be able to do more in tomorrow's class.

One thing I'm quickly noticing is the depth of the techniques.  For one simple technique (uke grabs wrist, nage raise hands, turn hips, and step through) there is so much to do to improve it.  I.e. the motion while raising the hands so you aren't fighting against the other person's strength (not that uke is suppose to resist like that), moving the hand back slightly before the grab is made to get uke off center, where your center is relative to your partner's center, etc.

This dojo does place a lot of emphasis on the spirituality side of it also.  The connectedness between partners, where you are in relation to everything else, having the right frame of mind while practicing, etc.  It is surprising how relaxed I am during and after a class even when I go wound up.

I will say that sitting in seiza is not coming that easily.  As soon as one part of my legs gets used to it and stops hurting another part starts hurting.

Dumah

• Jackass IV
Re: Aikido
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 06:18:44 AM »
I want to learn that 7 hit deadly punch thing that's on Kill Bill. Does Aikedo do that or will I have to learn Tai-Chi?

:p

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 06:23:11 AM »
Akido is handy in life if you take a fall on ice or some such.  Training is boring as hell at first, because the first several weeks is literally nothing but falling over and over and over and over....

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:01:54 AM »
Akido is handy in life if you take a fall on ice or some such.  Training is boring as hell at first, because the first several weeks is literally nothing but falling over and over and over and over....

wait, whats your point.... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4LX8PPMuOY

:D
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 08:37:27 AM »
The last month has been anything but boring.  I've spent about equal time as nage and as uke.  It certainly hasn't been falling over and over.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 09:24:43 AM »
I assume the Doctor is having you exercise more for you're health, and I found myself in the same situation not long ago. Akido is a form I have never practiced, but i really suggest you take a least a few classes in Krav Maga. You will put you're body through workouts you never thought you could and before you know it you will be in great shape and amazingly lethal.

All the forms have their good and their bad, and Krav Maga takes a few of the best things from the best arts and removes all the fluff.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:56:36 AM »
I have a few of friends that do Aikido, they all really like it. It looks pretty good but a little passive for me, Judo is much more aggressive. The other thing is ground fighting seems to be missing from Aikido, which is sort of odd since it's really a defense martial art.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 11:53:17 AM »
Ground fighting is a MUST. Everyone should take BJJ
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 12:27:58 PM »
I have a few of friends that do Aikido, they all really like it. It looks pretty good but a little passive for me, Judo is much more aggressive. The other thing is ground fighting seems to be missing from Aikido, which is sort of odd since it's really a defense martial art.

Well, as I told one guy at work:  I am already well versed in hurting people.  I simply don't need more training in that.  So a less aggressive art is perfect for me.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 01:42:38 PM »
I take it back, Aikido is passively aggressive since the masters wear a dress, just to temp people to fuck with them.

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 01:54:23 PM »

Well, as I told one guy at work:  I am already well versed in hurting people.  I simply don't need more training in that.  So a less aggressive art is perfect for me.

i would agree with you.  like you already said you getting much more out of it than just learning how to hurt people.  I think things like Krav Maga certially have their place in certain contexts, but I would imagine it would offer very little in terms of spiritual growth since it's only purpose is to maim or kill as quickly as possible...

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 02:14:26 PM »
I take it back, Aikido is passively aggressive since the masters wear a dress, just to temp people to fuck with them.

From http://www.aikidofaq.com/humor/index.html
Shodan (male): A male who is so adept at blending (and helping others to blend) that he can wear a skirt to class and nobody in class will laugh at him because he might help them learn to blend with the mat. At high velocity.

Hakama: what shodans call a skirt so they don't have to teach quite as many people to blend with the mat (see shodan (male)).

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 02:38:17 PM »

i would agree with you.  like you already said you getting much more out of it than just learning how to hurt people.  I think things like Krav Maga certially have their place in certain contexts, but I would imagine it would offer very little in terms of spiritual growth since it's only purpose is to maim or kill as quickly as possible...

Krav is called a self defense system instead of martial art because it places absolutely zero focus on spiritual, so you would be correct.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 02:46:38 PM »
If you take aikidio or karate or whatever at your local dojo/Y, do you actually focus on spirituality in a real way or is it just window dressing or ignored altogether?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 02:48:11 PM »
Depends upon the individual.