Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 65060 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #195 on: March 29, 2020, 06:24:21 PM »
I think I missed that part.  Do you know how long it'll be funded for?

I don't remember seeing it definitively, but if I recall correctly it's at least "months". (Side note, it looked like I was saying 100% plus salary, but I meant reimbursement of full salary plus in some cases a little bit more- which is why some Republicans almost held up the bill in the Senate.)

I think it is 36 weeks now.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2020, 10:30:53 AM »
Illinois extended the stay-at-home order until end of April - and with that school's are off as well. Looks like we will be staying in the forest for another month. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but I kind of feel sorry that my kids can't do all their after school stuff - they miss it quite a bit. My daughter is practicing her dance stuff, but it is harder for my son to do rock climbing and BJJ by him self at home :/ there are only so many exercises you can motivate a ten year old to do.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2020, 12:25:36 PM »
I disagree.  I specifically have been trying to spend money locally.  As should you.  I know some businesses are closed but feeding money to the ones that are open will only bolster the others when they reopen.  If we all only shop at online retailers we're only fucking ourselves. 
The caterer that did our wedding just send an email that you can buy meals for healthcare workers.  This is (IMO) a great idea as it keeps their business going and supports our healthcare workers.  I hope other local businesses can come up with solutions like this.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2020, 01:35:40 AM »
Schools closed through the end of the school year here. Which we expected but not everybody did so there's some sadness around town (or so I hear, I don't actually talk to anybody).

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2020, 08:10:55 AM »
Our school closure has been extended to May, but I doubt it will open before the end of the year... at this point I'm crossing my fingers for September. My son is supposed to start junior kindergarten.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2020, 11:34:04 AM »
we're still scheduled to resume April 20th but I highly doubt that will happen. 
New "work from home" packets will be ready for the kids tomorrow.  My kids haven't come close to finishing the first three weeks worth of stuff  :rolleyes:

A lot of this is starting to hit closer to home.  My girlfriend's coworker's dad just died from the virus.  My coworker's grandfather was just hospitalized for pneumonia but hasn't been confirmed as COVID-19 still, he's old and like 90lbs and the hospital sent him home after 2 days because they're overcrowded and he didn't currently need respiratory therapy.

Anyway, just the anxiety levels of so many people is so high and, while for some, this situation brings out the best, for so many others it makes them the worst version of themselves.  My girlfriend was on a call with a colleague in NYC who said was talkinga bout how every one is so on edge. Like, "it feels like 9/11 except then, you knew who the enemy was and everyone came together but now, everyone else is the enemy."  I thought that was a really telling statement and a good comparison of how this all feels right now
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2020, 01:42:07 PM »
Micah, did they at least perform a test on your coworker's grandfather? Honestly, it's probably best for him to be home if he's mostly stable.

As for NYC on edge, it's really true. I was walking to Duane Reade to get some tums the other day and went by this little old lady who was moving kind of slow and not in a straight line. After I passed her, she yelled at me "mind your six feet!" I kind of wanted to tell her that she was the one that almost cut me off while I was walking PAST her, but by the time she finished her sentence, I was already 12 feet out in front of her. Soooo, I just kept walking.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #202 on: April 03, 2020, 08:30:04 PM »
So we are officially going to "Remote Learning Days" through the end of April, but most likely to the end of the year. Teachers are doing another planning day on Monday. They will be using an actual schedule to have the learning be a much more structured than over the past two weeks. Even though I thought what they were doing worked, but it probably didn't work for a lot of kids and we're lucky that ours took to it so well. I think the structured approach will be better.

But even with that, only a few kids participated in the seesaw platform - out of the school's two 4th grades (about 30 kids) - less than 10 posted anything

Next week they will start live communication through hangouts as well - so that's kind of cool. But it means we will all have to be in our areas so not to disturb each other too much - potentially all four of us could be on a video call of sorts at the same time! isn't that crazy?

I wonder how the district will handle kids that don't have internet access :( I heard that comcast is doing two free months in cases like that - but it could be only a rumor.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #203 on: April 04, 2020, 11:35:10 AM »
No, I heard the same.  Spectrum is offering a no-cost option for people that need it.  It seems like all the kids in my kids' classes have access.  They had a Zoom meeting the other day and I assume those will pick up.  They actually have spring break next week but both of my kids have stuff they need to finish up that's due by the time remote learning resumes the following week.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #204 on: April 04, 2020, 12:30:53 PM »
Hey Folks - Popping in.  I’m glad Jake bugged me to do so.  How’s everyone? 

I’m gonna be an asshole, and not read all the backlog.  Is everyone safe and at home?

I’m huddled at home.  Not really going anywhere except here and my girlfriend’s house.  Neither is she.  We sent the kids home a week early for spring break, and we’re now closed on campus for the year.  We “go back” on Monday - digitally.  I spent my break wallowing, prepping, and redoing my home office to prepare.  Working from home is tough.  Way tougher I know for the girlfriend and her 6 year old - and the rest of you with kids in the house.

How is everyone?  I haven’t had the emotional fortitude to engage a lot - thus why I didn’t come by sooner, but I’ve been thinking of you all.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #205 on: April 05, 2020, 09:38:46 AM »
Knuck update time...

Laura and I are doing okay here.  Living our typical boring life.  Went traveled to in Europe in 2018.  Replaced my car with another just like it when it hit 200K and 11 years.  She replaced hers this year with a Lexus SUV when hers hit 200K and 16 years.  Weathered a strike at work, and then afterwards hit 20 years of service.

Had THE WORST cold of my life the first three weeks of this 2020.  My coworkers think I had Covid-19.  It freaked them out that I was out that much and so messed up.  I rarely get sick and never for more than a day or so.  I don't think I had C-19, but I certainly had many of the symptoms.  Especially with the brutal cough and plugged up lungs.  It knocked me out for nearly three weeks.  My personal guess is that it was multiple bacterial infections.  A light case of bacterial pneumonia, a good old fashioned cold, and a sinus infection simultaneously.  They tested me for all sorts of stuff at the doctor and everything showed negative.  C-10 wasn't being tested for a the time so I suppose I won't know unless I get C-19 at some time in the future.  Though I would prefer to avoid that if possible in favor of a vaccination in a year or two.

Laura and I are surrounded by really great neighbors which makes this mess a lot easier to deal with.  I am working as normal through the C-19 pandemic and Laura is working from home for the foreseeable future.

Mom has been dealing with multiple myeloma in MI, so it sucks that we are 500 miles away.  Brother and relatives are helping when needed.  We visit Michigan more often.  For somebody in their 70s she is handling it pretty well.

Kermi you don't mind, jump into Discord and we will exchange contact info, so that the next time we visit MI, we can get together for a meetup with you and yours.  I am in there quite often.  You will still know folks in there.

In other news I brew beer every so often with a neighborhood coworker.  When/if we meet up in MI, I can bring you a couple.  We brew very high quality beer as good as anything you can get in most specialty stores.  We even sneak in an occasional wine and or orange blossom mead.

Obes very very is jealous because when I visited him brewing wasn't a thing yet so he received not one delicious beverage.  Don't be jealous Benny.  Just stop by the house next time you are out!!   :love:

Technobabble
I just replaced my old Anker brand earbuds with the Amazon ones and they are surprisingly nice.  Still spec and build gaming PCs.  Mine is due to be replaced this or next year.  You still grow experimental lifeforms inside yours?  :D

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #206 on: April 06, 2020, 10:40:21 AM »
On our status call this morning my boss told us that his wife, who is a nurse in Boston, spent two days mentoring a new hire who, on the second day went home sick and tested positive for the virus.  So he's like, "don't think I'll be coming back to the office any time soon."

I read to day that apparently the tigers at the Bronx Zoo are the first US cases of the virus spreading to animals...and the first tigers in the world to get sick from it (as far as anyone knows)  Crazy.

On the homefront, better late then never, I'm finally doubling down on isolation as best as possible.  We've been being pretty good but there were a couple times last week I took Harper with me to the store and we were all hitting up fast food drive-thrus quite a bit.  No more taking the kids anywhere, and I'm stocked up on soda and snacks at home so I don't have to randomly be like, "girls get dressed, I need a 7-Eleven run" LOL.  My girlfriends "mom" made me a mask last week, I started wearing it today when I stopped for gas.

So ready for this to be over! I think we should revisit the meetup at Jakes cabin idea for this summer or fall.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #207 on: April 06, 2020, 10:57:27 AM »
On the homefront, better late then never, I'm finally doubling down on isolation as best as possible.  We've been being pretty good but there were a couple times last week I took Harper with me to the store and we were all hitting up fast food drive-thrus quite a bit.  No more taking the kids anywhere, and I'm stocked up on soda and snacks at home so I don't have to randomly be like, "girls get dressed, I need a 7-Eleven run" LOL.  My girlfriends "mom" made me a mask last week, I started wearing it today when I stopped for gas.

THANK YOU!  I went to the grocery store last week and I was amazed about how many people had MULTIPLE kids with them.  In the age range where they wander around and definitely aren't refraining from touching stuff and then their face.  I can understand it is hard but whole fuck keep them out of the store for everyone's sake.

I was also amazed by the number of older couples at the store.  The wife and I are only sending one person (me) out just to limit exposure.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #208 on: April 06, 2020, 12:12:55 PM »
I just realized that a facebook friend of mine, a girl I went to highschool with, has the virus.  She is a respiratory therapist but she also has lupus.  On top of that, her kids have always had health issues and she's been separated from them for a week.  So sad.  She's currently at home but her doctor is concerned about her heart inflammation.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #209 on: April 06, 2020, 01:59:18 PM »
I'm currently at the hospital. I was hoping to work from home tomorrow and Wednesday, but we're finally getting our COVID testing kits tomorrow so we'll be going live the same day (which is insane in regular day life). So maybe I'll be WFH Wed/Thurs instead. That means my office mate (who tested positive, was out for two weeks, and was cleared to WFH for the last week) will have been away from the office for 17 work days!

Husband has been WFH for the last year, so this is normal for him, but what is not normal is having the toddler at home all time wreaking havoc.