Author Topic: Cost of Hobbies  (Read 3781 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Cost of Hobbies
« on: October 22, 2015, 06:39:27 AM »
Getting my build close to ready.  That will be a different post.  Going to entirely replace my build from fall 2011.  I started picking parts up last Black Friday.  I also had to purchase a video card last Christmas when the original card failed.

I am aiming for a mid-high end machine with a few tweaks for aesthetics.

I actually worked out a price sheet for my gaming rig and personal high end audio system combination.  Damn!  I have a ton of cash into those two.  That said, I probably average 5 to 7 hours a day using between the two.  So conservatively, if I paid full price for every item and purchased everything in one year, it would cost me about $3 per day for these hobbies if you add in the cost of the games and music.  However realistically, I keep a PC for four to five years, upgrading the graphics card if there is a need or there is a major change in technology.  I also replace a mouse, monitor, etc. at failure.  Anytime possible I use sales and rebates.  My current PC build will end up costing about 25% less due to this alone.  I almost never pay for shipping.

The audio gear (read headsets and DAC AMP) I will keep for life.  My last set of audio gear was from roughly 1992.  Still working too.  It was just time to catch up.

Consumables are mostly music, games, OSes, mouse pads, and apps.

So that is the cost of my two hobbies that do not pay for themselves.

Whatcha got?  What is the cost of ownership?  Boat, cabin, NFL, whateva....

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Cost of Hobbies
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
a lot of hobbies are expensive. One of mine is shooting. Ammo isn't cheap. Especially when you get into the bigger (read: FUN) calibers. AK and AR rounds run about $.50 each. 30-30 and 30-06 are a buck or more per round. One hour of shooting sets me back at least $100. at least.

My other hobby is woodworking. I don't know if there is really a cost to it, since I am making furniture I would have to buy anyways so I think I am saving in the long run anyways. But quality tools cost a lot of money. And you hope that quality means it will last for a long, long time. And in many instances it does. One of my most used tools is an angle grinder - I am using one that my dad owned. It is a Makita which he purchased more than 15 years ago. Sure, you can get an angle grinder for about $30 these days, but I doubt it would last more than a few years with heavy use.

I have purchase cheap tools in the past when money was tight - and I probably don't own a single piece anymore because they had to be tossed due to breakage. I remember getting a set of long clamps from HOBO or harbor freight one time. Those fuckers broke on the first try. I also got some carving tools once from harbor, they were so dull that they were almost dangerous to use. I spent a couple hours sharpening them and the edge folded over after a few minutes of use. Garbage.

For a while now it is only quality tools. From yard tools to shop tools. If I need something, I save up for it, and then buy it instead of going for something cheaper.

Another example just came to mind - chain saws. I got a homelite chainsaw from woot - a refurb, for less than a $100. I had issues with it from day one. I got another cheapo (from a friend) but it was also brand new and a craftsman. Little less issues, but I still found myself consistently spending more time trying to get the damn thing started than actually using it. I finally broke down and got a Husqvarna. It was a big investment, but holy shit - the thing never fails. Starts hot or cold. Never chokes. It is a beast.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 09:42:03 AM »
I like shooting too but I haven't gone in years; and that one time was the first time I'd gone in years.  Around here there's no open/public places to shoot that don't charge a fee so you're automatically out $25-$50 just for range time.  Then, like you said, ammo is pricy.

I don't have a lot of other hobbies lately. I used to enjoy sequencing music but the tech got a head of me.  Also, my $1000 keyboard is broken and all my software it out of date and prohibitively expensive to upgrade, especially for my limited hobby uses.

I like programming stuff for fun as a hobby but just haven't had time in the past several years.  Also, I've found that whenever I come up with some new programmed thing, I have no use for it and/or I'm just reinventing something a million other people have already done better.  At least its a cheap hobby.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 10:00:54 AM »
I change hobbies kinda often.  For some reason I rarely find myself doing a cheap hobby :(

The latest one is painting.  There is a place here were they do bring your own wine (or beer) sip and paint classes that are a lot of fun.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 03:58:29 PM »
I don't really have time for hobbies it seems. I mean, if I can't even find 45 minutes over the course of a week to bang out a Breaking Breaking Bad episode I don't see how I'm going to fit in 3-5 hours of golf.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 06:37:29 PM »
Jake.  If you keep an eye on your area, I betcha you will find a fair number of local auctions that will have those tools on the docket.  They will often be very high end or of an age where all of those tools were high quality.  Pennies on the dollar too.  Farms, machine shops, hobby retirees, etc.  Just check often and be patient.  Oh and always  to the auctions in the shittiest weather.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 10:45:09 AM »
My main hobby is video games. Like Knuck, my rigs last about 5 years and I try to wait for sales. I think my last rig took about 9 months to get everything so that I wasn't paying full price.  But yeah, in comparison it's a cheap hobby.

I don't really have hobbies outside of that. I haven't played an organized sport in a few years so yeah. But even when I did it was only costing me maybe 100/year. Maybe 200 if I had to replace shoes or something.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 05:44:11 PM »
I consider my lawn, roses, helping the gaming clan out, and detailing sort of hobbies.