Author Topic: Host recommendation  (Read 9172 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Host recommendation
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 11:12:17 AM »
Perhaps GoGrid? (along the cloud hosting theme)
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 11:32:53 AM »
One of the people involved had previous contact with NetworkRedux who gave us a free VM

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 01:00:17 PM »
Vortech or 1and1. Both can accomodate and I have had greeeat experience with both

ive registered over 50 domains with godaddy.com and i love them. as for 1and1, i was one of those who was very unhappy with the hosting.

:rolleyes:

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 01:15:24 PM »
LOL,

I'm mostly set up now with goDaddy and it was fairly seamless, My site didn't even have any down time.  I still need to get those few client sites moved over, but that'll just be something simple in my free time.  THe trick with those is though that 2 of them control their own domain names and we'll need to switch the dns address (and I'm guess they have no clue how to do that)

I think I'll give it a shot for a few months and see what happens. If it sucks, maybe I'll try something better -- but for now I just wanted something easy, quick and cheaper then renewing at jumpline for $240.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 06:03:47 PM »
Notice the dates knuck, there's a 2 year difference. I had 1and1 when they first started up, and I wasn't impressed. Then last year after axon kept suggesting them I went back and was very happy, have been ever since.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 06:06:45 PM »
Btw micah if u plan to use databases at all (even for testing) get off godaddy and get a refund. I'm telling you that you should really go somewhere else. There will be problems, I will bet money on it.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 07:34:44 PM »
Godaddy sucks balls, I will give you that

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 08:02:26 PM »
I won't even take on clients that have godaddy unless they agree to switch to another host. Waste of my time.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 09:41:17 PM »
ditto.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 10:22:52 PM »
Why?  I have asked Ober if I should switch, but his advice thus far has been not to.  And considering that I haven't had any problems with GD and have had great luck with their technical service I haven't pushed the issue.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 11:08:35 PM »
already set up and running a database... no problems yet.  What kind of issues should I begin to expect?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 11:19:39 PM »
Ugh where to start. Godaddy doesn't believe in standards or acceptable policy. They believe in the everything is bad and should be disabled, and nothing should work as expected. Scripts or files will run incorrectly or not at all, and hours of debugging and stress comes down to an issue with the host that should never be an issue. At this time you contact godaddy and they tell you to fuck off and give you some bs reason why they can't change their screwed up settings.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 11:42:46 PM »
I retrack my suggestion for 1and1 after today. Long story short they overcharged me back in november. They offered me a full credit, and dint issue it, account got suspended around thanksgiving. So i call up soon as they come back from the holiday, and i call. They apologize, turn the server back on, and offer the credit plus three months free (DEC-FEB) to apologize.

So i havent been on my domains or used the account, i just now got a computer back. When i couldnt access ftp, i tried my admin panel, and it said invalid. So i emailed customer service. Turns out they never issued any of the credits, ever. They shut the server back off, released it (deleting my files, i have no backups as i had no computer), and set all my domains to expire.

Needless to say many emails and phone calls have done no good. They said im fucked on the files and i can transfer my domains if i pay the 9/ea at my register (12 domains....ugh) AND they wont give me the access i need to get the transfer auth codes!!!

WTF am i going to do? God DAMMIT. They want $70 for the old account and the setup costs for a new one. im broke as fuck and i dont have any online methods of payment. Fucking annoying man i tell you.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 11:45:46 PM »
not to mention the HOURS of time i had into the sites on there. ltr450hq.net alone had over 20 hours of design into the smf theme as we went through so many. Plus everything else we did, the 2500 active members....ugh

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2009, 12:00:15 AM »
I do my domain names with 1and1 and it's been fine so far (don't host anything with them, just DNS). My hosting is now done with HostGator and so far I haven't had any problems. It's good enough for my personal website. At the company we lease a half rack locally but we're looking into the Amazon hosting.
This signature intentionally left blank.