Author Topic: Kodak Zi8  (Read 1695 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Kodak Zi8
« on: October 13, 2009, 10:16:51 PM »
I'm thinking about getting one of these for a variety of reasons. I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money since I don't really do a lot of video stuff, but I thought it might be useful for recording myself playing guitar or out and about. I like the fact that it has line it to allow for better audio quality and the digital still capability doesn't hurt either.

I have mediocre video capability on my Canon camera (partly why I got that model) but it's a bigger camera and not quite as portable friendly as this Kodak thing seems to be.

What do guys think? Anyone use it's sibling the Zi6 or any other candy bar camcorders?
This signature intentionally left blank.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Kodak Zi8
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 11:12:52 PM »
Ask ober?

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 12:56:45 PM »
I like my minidv sony handycam
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 12:15:09 PM »
By the way whatever you decide on let us know how it works!

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 03:59:49 PM »
that thing looks so wicked lol
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 05:06:57 PM »
I already have the Zoom H4 which I'd plan on using (in addition to my other mics) as the input. The problem with the Zoom is that it won't do big HD and it duplicates my H4 functionality.

I really like the Zoom gear though. I bought my dad an H2 for Christmas last year and have pondered getting the new H4n but I'm waiting for more of a high quality four track with 24/96 ability (the Zoom won't do that in 4-track mode).

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 06:32:18 PM »

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 12:44:29 PM »
Picking up the Zi8 at the store this afternoon. Maybe this weekend I'll post a little video somewhere and you can see my ugly mug doing something useless.

I played around with the old one (Zi6) last night at the store and the one I went to didn't have the Zi8 so I found another store that has one in stock.

Hopefully it's going to be a good toy. But will probably end up collecting dust after a while like all my other gadgets.

Edit:
Oooo, ooo, the battery is done charging. Now I just need to stop by Microcenter tonight for some cheap memory and start playing with the thing. Specs say 90min of recording time on the battery so I figure a 16GB card should be enough to start with.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 04:07:59 PM by tgm »

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 07:55:32 AM »
 :postpix:*

*Replace pics with videos.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 10:11:02 PM »
I'm working on it. Apparently, the encoding is giving me some issues in converting it to FLV (or anything else). I found some software but unless you guys don't mind downloading 100MB file, patience is required. I like it though.

Quick review says the quality is reasonable but not terrific in low light, so good lighting is required for non-grainy HD quality. Shrink it down and the graininess lessens.

Audio quality is decent by default but I'm trying to figure out if there's machine noise or if it's just picking up electronics in my room. I'm going to try hooking my H4 up to it and give it a whirl.

Overall, I think it works really well for a generic pocket camera and for what I need, it does enough. But if you're looking to record your kids' sporting events or life moments (other than spur of the moment ones) you probably want a regular cam. For bringing to parties and such, I think this works very nicely.