Author Topic: ever owned a wrangler?  (Read 13973 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
ever owned a wrangler?
« on: January 23, 2012, 10:51:10 PM »
preface: everyone other than steve (aka rod, aka jason) can post replies to this thread.

So, have you? or have you known someone who did? My wife always wanted a wrangler and I'm thinking of getting her an older one for winter driving since the magnum is impossible in any kind of snow. The 4.0L 6 cylinder engine that jeep made forever is pretty solid. They've made it forever. From what I've been reading is that they are simple, solid vehicles. But they suck for road trips as they are really not very comfortable for long periods of time. This wouldn't be a big deal since she would only use it around town.

I drive a grand cherokee with the same engine and so far so good. I don't take the best care of it since it is a company vehicle; change oil every 4-5K miles; and so far so good. When I hit 100K I had to change the water pump. The only gripe I have is about the breaks - they wear out really quick and rotors warp easily.

Anyway I am looking at this one and this one.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: ever owned a wrangler?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 10:51:34 PM »
also; wranglers seem to hold their value pretty damn well.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 11:04:28 PM »
You know, this started off as a really weird post until I realized you were talking about the jeep and not the jeans...

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 11:20:23 PM »
Yea let's exclude the only Jeep expert on the fucking forum.

Jackass.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:25:42 PM »
 :lol:

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 11:31:22 PM »
You know what fuck you asshole I'm answering anyway. Lucky I like you.

The 6cyl is probably the most solid 6cyl ever made. When they do break, parts are easy to come by and repairs are easy to do. Don't be put off by oil leaks if it has more than 80k on it, it's kind of normal. They have issues, but they are issues that are common to any Jeep with that motor so they are easily identified.

The Wrangler is good on gas for what it is, and you can change the gears in the rear to squeeze out a little more if you want, depending on which gears yours comes with to start (in other words, if there is room for improvement or if it is already the best it will be). Manual is better for gas mileage but I'm sure you know that. The auto trans in the Wrangler is a bullet, no worries about it living a long time.

Soft tops should be avoided. Buying a soft top for a hard top is cheaper then buying a used or new hard top to go on the soft top. Soft tops are noisy and suck in the winter. They also rip from ice on occasion.

Keep in mind that Wranglers are at a higher risk for rollover, they need to be driven more carefully.

Keep in mind people love to screw with Wranglers. You are going to do best with a stock used wrangler that nobody has messed with.

Look underneath. Most people who are going to take them off road are too lazy in the winter to wash the underside well before selling it. You may see clumps of mud, grass, sticks, rope, etc. That gives you some idea of what to look out for, and a negotiating point.

Check the wheel wells, door jams, floor boards, exhaust, and under body for rust.

That's all I can think of right off. You already said the biggest part, they hold their value. You can always resell it EASY.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 06:25:49 AM »
What he said.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 08:01:43 AM »
You know, this started off as a really weird post until I realized you were talking about the jeep and not the jeans...
We don't know he's not.  I'll handle this one:  you don't have the butt for it, axon

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 12:15:28 PM »
Steve...you mean the straight six 4.0?  Or the replacement (3.7) they have been using for the last few years?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »
We don't know he's not.  I'll handle this one:  you don't have the butt for it, axon
Yeah but he is looking to get one for his wife, so she might have the butt for it.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 12:37:37 PM »
Steve...you mean the straight six 4.0?  Or the replacement (3.7) they have been using for the last few years?

Straight of course, tried and true. Not as impressed with the 3.7.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 06:56:48 PM »

Okay then...your engine advice only holds as long as 2007 when they pushed out the last of em.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 07:02:13 PM »
Yeah but he is looking to get one for his wife, so she might have the butt for it.
post pics of her butt jake

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 07:05:29 PM »

Okay then...your engine advice only holds as long as 2007 when they pushed out the last of em.

I honestly didn't know they changed them. Guess the old "pick on the newbie who says he has a V6" thing is out the window these days lol.

Wonder why, if it aint broke don't fix it.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 09:25:48 PM »

I honestly didn't know they changed them. Guess the old "pick on the newbie who says he has a V6" thing is out the window these days lol.

Wonder why, if it aint broke don't fix it.

Nice engine for the time.  It had issues like any other.  Some could have been easily remedied.  Like the oil leak.  If they had spent another ten cents they would have replaced the o-ring with a Viton one.  Fixed.  Had other minor issues also.  And mileage could have been better.  It just couldn't keep up with the times.  Engine design has come a very long way since that engine left the drawing boards.