Author Topic: Car Repairs  (Read 11044 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Car Repairs
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 08:15:46 PM »
Starter.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 08:36:57 PM »
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 08:40:32 PM »
Yeah ... fail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 11:01:30 PM »
it might not be a starter...usually if a starter goes bad, you have one more try, and then it doesn't start period. I would begin by cleaning the clamps on your battery. Make sure there is no corrosion and that you can move them clearly. I use coarse steel wool. What you described happens to my Jeep once every few months - I clean the connections and all is good.

If that's not it, replace the battery. good luck.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 12:03:57 AM »
Starters will often go out over time, mimicking battery symptoms of slow or weak starts, with periods where they will not start at all and then working later. Take care when cleaning connections or replacing the actual start wires because sometimes this will have a "bandaid effect" and the vehicle will start, probably stronger then it has in a long time, and a week later it's dead and never working again until the starter is replaced.

That lesson learned on Jeeps lol. Jeep starters are notorious for the sluggish behavior I described, and many times a new starter cable delivers so much "umph" to the dying starter that it quits a few days later.

I would bet if you throw another battery in the behavior will continue, and pretty soon you will have a dead starter. Hopefully at home.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 12:19:11 AM »
CV joints.

For the grinding or the moaning? I was guessing it was that for the grinding.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2011, 12:20:30 AM »
So let's say it is the starter. Is it worth replacing that and the cv joints and maybe the brakes?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2011, 12:40:22 AM »
Should be able to get a cheap 1yr start for that ~$65-100 and throw it in yourself. Front Brakes $13-20 same thing do it yourself, add on another $13-25 per wheel if you do rotors. Axels vary in price all over the place, not a job to do yourself if you don't know how.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2011, 08:47:37 AM »
The start/not start issue sounds odd to me.  I'd be willing to put money on issues with the alternator, but I don't know what would be causing the grinding sound.  That sounds more like wheel bearing problems or something.... but could also be a belt.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2011, 10:36:26 AM »
..., but I don't know what would be causing the grinding sound.  That sounds more like wheel bearing problems or something.... but could also be a belt.

Or CV or pad or bearing, or pulley, or wayward piece of plastic trim, grinding is a tough one.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 11:52:14 AM »
I was thinking CV joints on the grinding considering the OP: two and a half years ago (actually at least three) they told me to change the boots and I never did.

RoD, thanks for the info. I'm not going to be doing repairs myself. I guess I might try something simple like replacing a battery or maybe even the starter if that's not too hard and it's the difference between giving up on the car and getting it working. But anything that takes more than popping the hood is not something I'm going to do myself, even to save money.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2011, 12:43:03 PM »
I had very similar start/no start issues recently. The problem actually ended up being the shifter cable that connects the (automatic) shifter to the transmission. It was a little rusted and wasn't shifting properly, so the car was not always going into park. An automatic car will only start in Park and in neutral. If it's not starting, try shifting to neutral and starting (or slamming it into park with a little extra force). Also, if your car is not shifting into park there is a serious risk of it rolling down the driveway! put your e-brake on when you park!

And the grinding is likely CV joints or even sway bar links, but you should check your tire pressure. My car makes a grinding noise when turning if the tires get low because the wheel wells are small and the tires are big.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2011, 01:39:28 PM »
I'll try the neutral/park thing, thanks. No worries on the emergency brake. I always use it and we don't have a driveway anyway plus our street is pretty flat.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2011, 06:32:14 PM »
If your battery is old that's probably your starting problem. You might need an alternator but I'd bet it's just the battery.

The grinding while driving and noise around corners sounds very much like a bad CV. And if you haven't replaced it in the last two years, you might be driving on borrowed time. A thunking sound when turning is a typical symptom. Take a look underneath with a flashlight at the boots and see how bad they are. If they're torn and no grease in them, you probably need new CVs. I've replaced them on every Honda I ever owned somewhere in the 160k mile mark.

Wheels falling off while driving wouldn't be a fun one.

If your brakes are really bad you'll usually hear the squeakers kicking in telling you it's time for new pads, but it's possible you might need new rotors too.

I'd say take it in and have them look at it and probably get CVs done. Shop it around though.
This signature intentionally left blank.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2011, 06:41:52 PM »
Wheels falling off while driving wouldn't be a fun one.

Doh! I was wondering what the results of bad CVs could be.

Sounds like I'll bring it to the dealer if I can get it started. If not, then I'll get it towed to someplace local. Hopefully I pick a good place, though, since I won't really be able to shop around until I can start it again.