Author Topic: Grandma was Tazed!  (Read 3910 times)

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
Re: Grandma was Tazed!
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 09:44:13 PM »
I'll track it and let you guys know what the outcome is (this will take months if not years to get to the bottom of).

So the death could have been caused by anything. Hardly worth noting that a taser was involved until there's more information

Re-read what you just wrote and then re-read what through what we're discussing here.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2009, 12:33:56 AM »
I'll track it and let you guys know what the outcome is (this will take months if not years to get to the bottom of).

So the death could have been caused by anything. Hardly worth noting that a taser was involved until there's more information

Re-read what you just wrote and then re-read what through what we're discussing here.
They're implying that the taser killed him without knowing for sure that he was even shot with one. If they want to point to tasers as the cause of death, they ought to have more information or everyone will jump on the headline and say that no one should use tasers because they're dangerous. For all we know, being tased has a 1% chance of killing you while being wrestled into handcuffs has a 2% chance of killing you.

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 02:38:10 AM »
They're implying that the taser killed him without knowing for sure that he was even shot with one. If they want to point to tasers as the cause of death, they ought to have more information or everyone will jump on the headline and say that no one should use tasers because they're dangerous. For all we know, being tased has a 1% chance of killing you while being wrestled into handcuffs has a 2% chance of killing you.

The gravity of a death in custody or death in arrest cannot be taken lightly and it is a foundation of any democratic country that the press are well within their rights to report on these deaths.  I can understand you concerns over an ensuing moral panic, but bear with me here.

The police media report states clearly: "Police arrived at the scene about 2:50am. It is believed that a taser was deployed and that police managed to physically subdue the man, however before the ambulance could arrive at the scene the man stopped breathing."

So to say that a "man has died after being tasered by police" is a fact, I fail to see how you could write a less-impartial description of the event.  The article I posted is perhaps the most reliable one I have found, short of the emotional debate.

Take for example one tabloid report:

"A junior constable only one year out of police college was one of the first officers on the scene of a fatal arrest in north Queensland early this morning that saw a man shot three times with a Taser stun gun."

This is almost pure, emotionally charged fiction.  No such information has been confirmed by the police HQ.

Furthermore, the present lack of conclusive evidence regarding CED and fatalities is not a green light on their use.  Ventricular fibrillation is clear risk identified in several studies that I have found relating to CED fatalities.  Electromuscular incapacitation (EMI) can occur as a result of drug or alcohol intoxication, and yes, there still remains a tenuous link between EMI and use of CEDs.  Yet surely reason dictates that while the technology has any chance of causing or contributing to deaths in custody or deaths in arrest (when in fact, the primary idea behind using CEDs is to deter these avoidable deaths), it is going to make it very difficult to set how, when and why police should use CEDs.

drakkenkorin

• http://www.google.com
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 09:01:31 AM »
>>In a police statement, it is alleged a naked man was acting aggressively and destroying property at a residence at Brandon.<<

I'm gonna say that this guy was doped up on some PCP.  For some reason, when I read a story about someone stripping down and going ape shit it usually invovles PCP.

Maybe he had some underlying medical problems (note: i didn't read the enire article - I'm too lazy and too sleepy to do that).
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 09:47:30 AM »
PCP makes you think you are fucking superman. I saw police shoot a guy with a gun 12 times before he went down.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 10:47:21 AM »
So to say that a "man has died after being tasered by police" is a fact, I fail to see how you could write a less-impartial description of the event.

Is there any evidence whatsoever that the taser had anything to do with the death? If not, then the factual accuracy of the headline does not save it from the irresponsible implication.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2009, 10:50:39 AM »
perhaps he ate Cheerios that morning as well.  Perhaps that too should be reported so we can all assume that the tasty oat-based cereal contributed to his death.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2009, 11:01:03 AM »
perhaps he ate Cheerios that morning as well.  Perhaps that too should be reported so we can all assume that the tasty oat-based cereal contributed to his death.

Did you ever notice the cheaper "Millville" brand of cheerios is actually healthier then the real cheerios? I was shocked, so i dont buy the real deal anymore.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2009, 06:31:36 AM »
A guy died in the Vancouver airport from a tasing a year or so ago. He didn't speak english and was getting frustrated because he couldn't find is flight or wife or something. The cops tased him and he died. There's tons of articles on the web if you google for "vancouver taser".

here's one,
http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/november2007/151107Taser.htm

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2009, 06:39:40 AM »

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2009, 01:41:12 PM »
And apparently he failed to eat his cheerios...

That article doesn't say to what extent the taser was involved, but it does seem to indicate that the taser use was just an ancillary cause and that the death may have occurred anyway.